I Forge Iron

Arm & Hammer Anvil 41748 production year

Computer less friend just got this nice 115# Arm & Hammer anvil and was curious about when it was made.  Does AIA have serial numbers and dates for these?  If so, could someone look it up for me?  Apparently someone lost the number 4 stamp as they are about half the size of the other numbers  

Thanks. 

IMG_4335.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4337.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

First, thank you.  Second, that's Interesting that the closest it can be narrowed to is a  12 year gap.  That's better than not knowing at all.  I did figure it was towards the end of production since they supposedly only produced around 51,000 anvils according to previous posts on IForge. 

Some of the production numbers were sourced from manufacturer's ads about how many they have sold---not very granular---remember when McDonald's used to put how many millions they had sold on their signs?  If that was all you had to go with; pinpointing exactly when they had sold a particular burger would be difficult too.

Understood Thomas and thank you for your clarifying statements. I have seen similar disparities with serial numbers and actual production on other manufactured equipment.    I noticed another thing about these anvils ( in addition to the smaller #4 stamp). The arm and hammer logo on this anvil has the upper arm vertical as with some of the images on the 'net ( not Vulcan) while other arm and hammers have the upper arm horizontal   Got me wondering if that was a consistent change, i. e., all anvils from a certain point had the logo stamped a particular way or if it varied depending on who was stamping   Not that I'll lose sleep over it, but just something for me to think about  

• 6 months later...

can someone tell me the age of a Arm & hammer

49106 or 49186 hard to make out then it looks like 54

I am assuming its 54# the hammering surface is 3" wide by 12" long

just getting into knife making with a friend and cam accross

this little anvil

also what is the best way to clean it up

Well the best way to clean it up starts by telling us what cleanup you need to do to it.  Loose rust is handled differently than layers of paint is handled differently than old hardened grease is handled differently than surface pitting is handled differently than surface abuse.

Perhaps a picture?