I Forge Iron

chimney for my coal forge question

I live in Canada and my workspace was outside; which meant I only could smash metal from May to November. Ive been working on building my Smithy (basically a pole barn) since July and it's almost done (I'll post a photos when I'm 100% done). I have a question regarding the chimney for my coal forge. I'm installing a wood stove and I know I need a insulated chimney pipe for when it goes through the metal roof. Question: Do I need insulated chimney pipe for my forge or will single wall pipe be ok? I'll be using a rivet forge with a hood and will be upgrading to a  24x30 coal forge as budget permits. Thanks!

Think fire place chimney as aposed to wood stove. As Das points out the flue gas is cooler. As to a larger forge I would recomend a 30x30 with a 30x30 table next to it for a "big" forge. That extra 6" makes a world of difference as to keeping fuel on the table with out being to big to reach the fire. Your big fire will want 10-12" flue wile your rivit forge can get by with 8-10

12" would be quite sufficient. I ran 10" and were I to redo it I'd go 12". Tho the 10" works fine for the forge I have and I haven't had any need to change it. Hood design may play a roll in how it draws as well. My hood was my problem early off on mine. I had too much open space around it and wouldn't draw as well with too much other shop air keeping it from drawing well. That was fixed by blocking off the back portion. 

As I suggested, a coal or charcoal forge is a fireplace hearth raised to working hight. If you explane to them that fact you should have no problems. Building code, fire code and insurance comonly deal with fireplaces and restraints with indoor charcoal grills. The disconnect is that they haven't had to deal with a "forge" in about 100 years. And as a forge is a hearth, and a fireplace is a hearth...