I Forge Iron

Shop Security ideas??

Dogs, we have dogs. About the best security and warning system on the planet; there's nothing so versatile, adaptable and loyal as a good dog. It's been 10 years since someone came up the driveway without us knowing about it. Or walked in from the woods for that matter.

The last time I was chased by a moose was the first time I managed to stay upright on a set of skis for more than 50'. Fear is a wonderful teacher dontchaknow. :o

Frosty

No actual moose in Dunlap, but its the thought that counts!

And yes, aren't they though?

(Been years since I've tasted any and even more years since I've been chased and treed by one.... Loooonnnngggg story..... LOL!)

We have some in the freezer. If you visit AK, look us up and we'll thaw some.

Heck, that goes for any of you galoots. If you visit AK, look us up, I promise I won't let Deb make you clean the barn more than once. :D

Frosty

Pic 1 if from the front porch a couple months ago. Pic 2 is from a couple years ago, about where the near wall of the shop is now.
Pic 3 is General Cat keeping the troops straight. (not our picture)
Pic 4 is the special forces winter warrior moose.

Practically speaking though, attack would moose work okay if they weren't so darned YUMMY.

Frosty

LOL, thats what im talking about, the heavy artillery, I've gotten the snot whomped outta me before by some indignant heifers, but I bet one of those babies could reduce a man to a pile of guts and crumbs... I've never eaten moose, does it resemble beef? deer? none of the former?

LOL, thats what im talking about, the heavy artillery, I've gotten the snot whomped outta me before by some indignant heifers, but I bet one of those babies could reduce a man to a pile of guts and crumbs... I've never eaten moose, does it resemble beef? deer? none of the former?

I just checked YouTube and couldn't find a copy but about 5 years ago a man old enough to know better was stomped to death on an Anchorage college campus. The oh so bright young citizens mom, dad and the public are paying so much on higher education had been spending most of the winter teasing the cow and calf. It'd finally had enough and was starting to confront people.

When this older gentleman showed up for his morning swim he refused to take the side entrance and tried to sneak past the enraged cow instead. There was only about 4' of room between moose and a wall.

The video shows half a ton + of PO'ed mother moose tap dancing on the poor guy. He didn't stand a chance.

Moose tastes like . . . Moose. Similar to beef but richer and not so wild as venison. Hard to describe but it's good stuff.

Frosty

my small house dog is the best burglar alarm there is, her ears are always tuned into the slightest noise from inside or outside the house. and she is very vocal when doing her burglar alarm thing.

get a motion detection double security light, mount it in a corner inside of your shop, remove one bulb and screw in an outlet socket, plug in a loud siren or horn to it and also an outside set of lights. Just make sure you don't have any pets or birds in your shop. you can also hook an auto message dialer to the inside light, that will dial your law enforcement dispatcher, with a message such as "MOTION ACTIVATED INTRUDER ALERT AT 1625 uSA STREET, RESPOND IMMEDIATELY PLEASE"! Just make sure you turn it off before entering yourself.

One night years ago after a late blacksmith meeing in another town another shopman wanted to see something in my shop on his way home. We were in the shop at about 1AM, when a local cop came in the front door with his hand on his pistol. gave me a good feeling.