I Forge Iron

6 Inch 136 lb. Post Vise Identification and Opinion on Jaw Repair

Shaner

Hi Gents, I just picked up this large post vise. Paid more than I should of but these big ones just don't pop up that often in my area. It weighs 136 pounds, has 6" wide jaws and stands 39" tall (but I suspect a couple inches have been cut off the leg).

The threads on the screw and box are in very nice shape but the dust cover part of the screw box has a small chunk missing out of it on the end. It's past the threaded section so it won't affect anything but I think I'll forge a sleeve to slip over the end to keep the threads clean.

The vise looks very similar to my smaller Peter Wright vise but I'm not a 100% positive, there are few minor differences. What do you think?

IMG_5172+_2_.JPG

IMG_5180+_2_.JPG

IMG_5181+_2_.JPG

IMG_5177+_2_.JPG

Overall the condition of the vise is in nice shape, but it looks like it was used to hold steel that was ground on directly over the jaws, and through the years they ground a 1/4" wide groove on the face of one of the jaws (see pic below).

I figure I have two options to repair it. Mill the damaged section out and weld a piece of 1/4" flat steel in it's place, or just use some 7018 and build it back up and grind it flat.

I'm thinking building it back up with the welding rod would probably be the best. I could throw the jaw in the forge for a bit to preheat it before welding.

Opinions?

IMG_5176+_2_.JPG

Thanks for your help,

Shane

Leg vise jaws don't have any sort of heat treatment to worry about and if they aren't changeable jaw inserts then running a bead or two and dressing it with a grinder is just right. Nice job, it's what I would've done. Love the stand, very blacksmitherly use of scrounged materials. 

You're fitting in here already Shane. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the comments and info guys, I appreciate them.

The old flat belt pulleys and shaft worked great for the stand. It's fairly stabile, not tippy, but it does want to rotate on the floor a little. I'm either going to have to secure it to the floor or fasten a piece of 1/4" flat stock to it that I can stand on when I'm bending or beating on a piece of metal. I like things in the shop to be mobile so I think I will go with the flat stock.

Thanks again,

Shane

On 9/30/2017 at 11:19 PM, Shaner said:

Well I went ahead and built it up with 7018 welding rod. There's a couple small pits but it's a good solid weld and at least now I can put the vise to use.

Nice vice and good job in that repair. I am afraid that forged blacksmith vice were forged and heat treated according to original ads by Peter Wright. You had however little choice and I hope that vice will serve you well for many years to come.