I Forge Iron

Hey all.  I finally got my hands on an anvil. Now need help to identify it.  I don't believe it to be cast iron because the face rebound is spectacular using the ball bearing test (about 90%).  And there's from what I understand "handling holes" on the ends under the horn and heal which seems to be from forging it.  I will wire wheel it when it gets in my possession.  Anyone know from the shape or style who made it?  As a side note.. when tapping the horn it doesn't have a great ring.  Overall a quiet anvil WITH awesome rebound.  Thinking a Fisher?  It weighs in at 128 lbs but has 130 stamped into it.  No other markings are visible at this time

IMG_20170926_210717198.jpg

IMG_20170926_210743224.jpg

IMG_20170926_210643143.jpg

LOCATION!  Think about it; if someone asks what make is their old car knowing if it is in eastern Germany makes a huge difference to the possibilities than if it's in the USA.

With over 100 countries participating here there is not a DEFAULT COUNTRY.

Is the 130 stamped in or projecting out? What did you weigh it with and is it calibrated?  Less than 2% off is pretty good for an anvil weight!

Well aren't you a helpful peach...  I'm in the U.S.  AND I BOUGHT THAT ANVIL IN ILLINOIS.   It weighs in at 128 pounds but it has 130 stamped into it sorry I thought I originally said stamped into it.  Any ideas of the manufacturer would be helpful rather than snarky criticism.  Thanks

Yes you did but many folks get that part wrong so I wanted to double check as it is a major clue. A it's stamped in pounds and not CWT and B it's stamped in and not standing proud.

Is there a swelling under the hardy hole on the heel? The semicircular indent on the back foot  and the lack of ring makes me think of a Badger; they did advertise a 130# anvil.

Thank you for supplying location information and I understand why you might be upset that you goofed up not supplying such a basic piece of information the first time. You know it already and it's easy to forget to tell us the details. (There are outliers too.  I own an anvil that's travelled close to 5000 miles in it's life so far: Columbus OH to a copper mine in Arizona, back to Columbus OH and then out to Socorro NM.)

Well aren't you a helpful peach...  I'm in the U.S.  AND I BOUGHT THAT ANVIL IN ILLINOIS.   It weighs in at 128 pounds but it has 130 stamped into it sorry I thought I originally said stamped into it.  Any ideas of the manufacturer would be helpful rather than snarky criticism.  Thanks

Now that is snarky, but the information Thomas asked for was not. It's not our fault when someone fails to give enough information in their initial posts, which yours was lacking. I can tell you this Thomas knows more about anvils and blacksmithing that 99% of us will ever know.

Since Page76 is new, NJAM is @njanvilman and to call him a Fisher and expert is probably and understatement.

Thanks Dan.. is it an email or a screename on here?  How do I look him up.  I sure appreciate all the help from the good guys here!  Throughout my learning stages of smithing I've really found MOST people here really try to help the newbies.  Thanks again!!! 

I tried to help you in your first thread about the 50 lb ASO. If you recall I advised that putting your location in your profile would help because some answers are location dependent. It seems you ignored that advice until this thread. Your last sentence above is snarky also you do realize that typing in all capitals is shouting.

No markings .  The Fisher expert NJAM identified it for me.. I also thought it was a Badger.. Log on to his web there might be pictures or he might log on to help.. Super guy.

Hey Jim I wanted to let you know I looked up that guy. You're right super nice guy spending a lot of time through messages telling me what I have. Thanks so much for the heads up!  Sure appreciate the help!