I Forge Iron

Newly made hammer eye drift (maybe)

Hello Artisans

almost a year ago I posted some pictures of my new home forge and some of the tools I made from scrap steel - the start of my smithing  Back then I had a pieced of 50x50x100mm 1045 to make my first hammer.  A forearm injury and other projects got in the way and I never got started.

Back at it again, and I just made a hammer eye drift from length of 25mm round steel cut from an old Japanese crowbar of unknown grade.  While making it I used my home made beating anvil, guillotine tool - satisfying!

From the sparks coming off the linisher, the crowbar looks to have some decent carbon content. Anyway after hours of beating and some grinding this is what was made.  The length is 325mm, width is 25x15mm.

Is it too small to make the correct size eye for the hammer head billet I have? 

The tool was just air cooled and it has a hardnes less than 40 Rockwell by my cheap file set.  How should I treat it? I will be using an H13 splitter to make the through hole (from Glen on YouTube).

thanks.

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3746.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG