I Forge Iron

Progress

Hello I'm all new to forging metal and this site but I have took all the advice from here and made changes . I'm learning fire control with my break drum coal forge I've purchased some used but new to me hammers and been playing with hammer rythem . so far its paying of . I'm starting to learn the site and would like to reach out and see if there is anymore sites that are out there . I really want to get into knife making but (Frosty) recommended that I learn more about how to shape and get metals to do what I want so I'm looking for tips on that subject and mabe some projects for a beginner . this site and everyone that has helped me so far thank u very much y'all have been very helpful .

yes there are more sites out there. Another blacksmithing one would be anvilfire  in particular under their iforge section that are a large number of projects to forge and if you read the Safety ones you will learn more about PawPaw Wilson.

There are a bunch of knifemaking sites out there too.

There are several topics on beginner projects here so a simple search on "beginner projects" should bring a lot of hits up. If this sites search function lets you down just use your regular search browser and type in " Beginner projects iforgeiron" and it should lead you to those posts. 

Honestly, the best way to learn is going to hang out with other blacksmiths. Do a lot of watching and staying out of the way. Ask questions. Then, get some steel and see how it moves with different hits and different spots on the anvil. Like a rounding hammer can stretch steel just as good as a cross pein if you have the control. That's what I did and still do almost 12 years later. Most importantly have fun and don't get to mad when you screw stuff up. It happens. A lot.