I Forge Iron

10 years ago i inherited my fathers anvil with the idea of using it. My father was a self taught farrier and worked around the mornington peninsula at the time Pony Clubs were the big thing.He worked most weekends to supplement his income to support the family. Originally he had a monster anvil he used to cart around in his car a vanguard. One day he was working at a place in Crib Point and the horse owner suggested they swap anvil.He wanted a larger one and eyed off my fathers monster and dad took up the opportunity to swap the monster for one he could lift more easily. I had dug the anvil out of its resting place in the last couple of days. I never knew it was branded until i took a good look at it. After a bit of searching on various sites i found it was a Wilkinson Dudley Queen anvil and also  "EXTRA QUALITY" in the branding. The weight is shown as 1 0 11 which to me means 123 pound. Any ideas how old it would be.also any ideas of value. i have hit it with a ball hammer and had quite a good sound and the hammer rebounded quite a bit. Do not own a ball bearing to test the bounce.

Welcome to IFI, towdo. If you could add your location in your profile settings, that would help us a lot with answering your question. Anvil prices vary considerably by region, and I for one have no clue where the Mornington Peninsula or Crib Point are. Many thanks. 

Others here are much more knowledgeable about Wilkinson anvils, so I will leave it up to them to answer that part of the question more specifically.

Welcome aboard towdo, glad to have you.

Condition is a big factor in anvil value if you'll post some pics it'll give us something to base our opinions. Stand back a little and shoot both sides top and bottom. If you angle pics rather than directly at steel glare and highlights don't wash out the pictures. Shots from the ends are as much to see if there are serial and or model numbers stamped on the edges of the feet.

In general though they're pretty  high quality anvils and it's in a very useful weight range. Heavy enough to do good hard work on but light enough to move around without killing yourself or lifting equipment.

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

Welcome to IFI, towdo. If you could add your location in your profile settings, that would help us a lot with answering your question. Anvil prices vary considerably by region, and I for one have no clue where the Mornington Peninsula or Crib Point are. Many thanks. 

Others here are much more knowledgeable about Wilkinson anvils, so I will leave it up to them to answer that part of the question more specifically.

JHCC & Frosty, Sorry i did not include area. I live in Melbourne in Victoria. The area i was talking about is about 50 miles south east of Melbourne. I will get some photos posted of the anvil as soon as i can. The big anvil my dad had first seemed like a monster and i could never lift and he struggled to get it in and out of the car. Even the one i inherited as i get older i have trouble trying to lift it. I have not tried to physically lift it for several as i know it would hurt my back. Thats why it has sat under my work bench -out of sight out of mind in doing something with it.Also the need to rearrange my workshop to fit more tools. I also have some of his tools he used as a farrier and i have  converted some to use on wood work. several rasps, tongs, hoof trimmers etc.

3 hours ago, towdo said:

I live in Melbourne in Victoria. The area i was talking about is about 50 miles south east of Melbourne

Good to know, but you should still put it in your profile settings, for the benefit of those who won't know to come back to this thread to learn where you are. 

Sounds like a great set of tools for getting started. We will watch your progress with interest!