I Forge Iron

Mini gas forge

NomenCallide

So I am building 2 forges, one from an old wok that burns wood, and one from a large pizzeria sized pineapple chunk can and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place in the St. Catharines ON area to procure some kaowool on the cheap, or alternately is willing to sell some on the cheap.

All advice is appreciated! 

Also, what is the best way to seal the kaowool?

Welcome aboard NomenCallide, glad to have you. Please put your general location in the header you ight be surprised how many Iforge members live within visiting distance. Just telling us in one post isn't going to stick in our memories once we look elsewhere. 

Try contacting local HVAC service companies. They may be willing to let you have trimmings and scraps from boiler repairs. Ask about their supplier they may have a considerable amount of  old ceramic blanket refractory in the dumpster.  Building and fire code here says you can NOT use blanket that isn't taken directly off a roll so what they trim and left overs have to be thrown out. The local supplier here gives me  1" 8lb. Kaowool by the garbage bag full. I don't know about Ontario but it's worth a try. Go in person, take donuts and be polite, by all means offer to buy it.

If you'll spend some time reading in the gas forge section here there are more archived postings about building gas forges than you can get through without eating a couple meals. "Forges 101" and "Burners 101" are two current threads that cover exactly what you're asking about, in detail.

See you there?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frosty! 

I'm not new per se, but I can't access my old account, or even remember it really so I'm as good as new.. but you gave me some awesome pointers before so... I'm off to see the HVAC service guys! *stops by Tim Hortons enroute* wish me luck!

The most important facts about ceramic fiber insulation, isn't how much it costs, or where to find it; it's what to rigidize, and coat it with. This is especially true for guys who can't readily access the American market, because the newer, higher temperature rated products become, practically speaking, closed off to most of you.

2300 F rated blanket have a full time use rated temperature closer to 1900 F. So, without rigidizing to toughen the blanket, and a heat reflective seal coating, your insulation is trapped between recommended use temperatures and welding heat. You can find out how to procure both materials at the lowest prices, by reading through the Forges 101 thread. Good luck.