I Forge Iron

Wagon parts

Clover Saint

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew what material these two pieces are made out of. They are both from a wagon of unknown age, I believe the round stock is iron, possibly wrought? And the bar which is about 3/8 of an inch thick I have no clue on. I've spark tested them both and the sparks from the round stock were ranging from short to long in a reddish orange color, with two or so forks at the ends. The bar had a lighter spark with some forks at the end. Any help is appreciated, thanks all:)

1501958171331-1190792756.jpg

Edited by Mod34
Merged redundant threads

Those are pretty generic stock size and shape, have you done a bend test to see if they're wrought? Cut half way through with a hack saw then bed it over in a vise, it it bends it's probably steel, if it snaps it's probably steel. However it it breaks like a green stick, fibrous and splintery looking, it's probably wrought.

Do the corroded pieces have a surface texture like wood grain? That's an indicator of wrought. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Just now, Frosty said:

Those are pretty generic stock size and shape, have you done a bend test to see if they're wrought? Cut half way through with a hack saw then bed it over in a vise, it it bends it's probably steel, if it snaps it's probably steel. However it it breaks like a green stick, fibrous and splintery looking, it's probably wrought.

Do the corroded pieces have a surface texture like wood grain? That's an indicator of wrought. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I haven't done the bend test yet, I was saving that one for last. And as far as the pattern it's hard to say. It's an orange peel texture on parts of it, and then on other parts it's as if nothing has happened other than some surface rust. As soon as I do the bend test though I'll for sure update.