I Forge Iron

your thoughts on this one

vaporlock

Hi All,

It has been a while since I have posted some pics. In the mean time, i keep on forging but how are things coming along?

you tell me :

XC75

forged as far as possible

olive handle with a bit of liner to compensate "hammer dips" in the handle area.

I am not ready yet to polish up the whole knife, I still like to see the forge in it.

vaporlock

2017-05-07 12.20.40.jpg

2017-05-07 12.20.34.jpg

2017-05-07 12.20.52.jpg

Product photography can be and is a special section of that craft, making everything look right to show off the product. May I suggest a plain background for your work. The grain in the wood competes with the grain of the knife handle for the viewers attention. 

The lighting used in your photograph shows the knife, all the details, and is not distracting. Very well done.

yup, I did not pay any attention to how the pic was taken . these are the pics i take to keep a history of what i have done (which i forget to do most of the time) they are simply taken on my workbench.

i will take more care with composition next time.

thanks

I think it's gorgeous. I love the Forge finish/polished look and that olive is outstanding. 

As for the "hammer dips", one option is (prior to attaching the scales of course) to fill them in with some weld and then grind everything flush. If your weld is clean, the filler will blend right in and won't really be visible to the naked eye unless you're etching...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Thanks for your kind words. All shaping is done by hammer including the point and bevel since for me this is the most difficult part of the forging.  I try to leave a 0.5-1.0 mm edge on the bevel for hardening. The original bar was 14 mm octagonal XC75. As far as the hammer dips go, I just have to get better control and hammer more evenly, especially to get an even spine.

I still have a hard time predicting the shape of the point and i am still going back and forth between ‘shaping the knife then hammering the bevel and continuously straightening the spine as a consequence’ or ‘shaping the point inverse and letting the tip come up as you forge the bevel’.

The olive wood is from a tree which died in 1956 when an exceptional cold in this area decimated the olive trees. Managed to grab it before it went into my neighbour’s fireplace.