I Forge Iron

How to Deal With Sharp Edge on Planer Blade

I picked up two planer blades (probably D2?) and am wondering how to deal with the sharpened edge.  I'd like to forge these into knives, but I'll need to reduce their width and draw them out longer.  If I try to forge the sharp edge off of it, I'm figuring it will just roll and form a cold shut.  Is there a way to change the sharp edge to a square edge without cutting/grinding it off?

Planer Blades.jpg

I can't help with the sharp edge problem, personally I'd just grind it off, but I will say that the blades on the planer I used to use were HSS (high speed steel) and were fairly useless for blade stock, I hope yours are something different!

Pretty much all the planer blades I have seen are HSS too and so not forgeable.  You can do stock removal but you will need to send them out for heat treat and they will be "unpleasant" to work.  Finding out the particular alloy is very important.  Can you ask what brand of blades they used in their planer?

Unfortunately these were donated to a "xxxx in the hat" drawing at our blacksmith meeting, so no clue what sort of machine they came from.  No mfg markings on the blades themselves.  I Googled "planer blade metal type" and came up with the idea that they might be D2.  Guess the "xxxx in the hat" may have been aptly named this time.

I already built one of Frosty's fullers, and it uses 5/8" dies.  Cutting them might not be a problem with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel.  Not sure I'd want to wear out a bandsaw blade on them.

If I had a metal lathe, that could be handy.  They're only 1/8" thick, so not a lot of shear strength I would guess.