I Forge Iron

Putting a handle on two Kelly Carlson blades

TheoRockNazz

Today I finished the first of two Kelly Carlson blades I was given by two collectors to complete. Kelly passed several years ago, and his son recently started selling and giving away his father's unfinished blades, tools, materials, etc..

IMG_6873-01.thumb.jpeg.60ab0e0104f0355a2ef3a83a0d136e0c.jpegIMG_6872-01.thumb.jpeg.0ffb20d2502f0b46970cece4c742ab87.jpegIMG_6875-01.thumb.jpeg.829e89ecb3cefee13edb1df0789750d0.jpegIMG_6876-01.thumb.jpeg.faa837e181b92e9f74a2d304cdecc763.jpeg

This bowie is very hard mystery stainless that was already buffed when I received it. I forged the guard from mild steel, and the pommel is a tapped mild steel ball that I did some shaping on - both were media blasted then sealed. I welded a threaded rod to the base of the blade and assembled the guard, caribou antler, and aluminum as if it was a take-down construction but used JB weld everywhere so it ain't coming apart.

It was a bit strange working on another smith's blade. His grinds are perfect, but I have no clue what his plans were for the handle, so I am sure I ruined whatever the original flow was supposed to be haha. The customer/collector was very happy with my "rough" addition to an otherwise clean and crisp blade - he likes my brut de forge style.

Comments and critique always welcome. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else ever worked on another smith's blade, especially if he/she had already passed.

As I was looking at the photos, I was saying to myself that I really like the guard and pommel but not a real big fan of the blade shape, then I read the commentary. As long as the customer is happy and you're satisfied with your efforts, what more could you ask for? I think you did a great job completing someone else's vision.

8 hours ago, D.IVO said:

The blade is identical to the one Alan Ladd used in "The Iron Mistress" movie, maybe he was planning a replica.

Yes! Good eye. I knew I had seen it before but couldn't place it. Haven't seen the movie in several years.