I Forge Iron

knife from giant rock boring bit

insiderian

I have a giant rock boring bit and i would like to make a knife out of it. The problems, i can't forge weld (my forge doesn't get hot enough), and the stock would be to thin if i ground the twist. Any suggestions or do i need to get a better forge setup.

which continent / country are you in?

giant rock boring bits may be tipped with tungsten carbide, that may be brazed in place

how large is this giant bit?

3 foot diameter?

6 foot?

why is your forge not getting hot enough?

you can straighten out the twist or upset it, neither of those need welding

what type of forge do you have?

pictures?

fuel?

or you could start with something much simpler.....

Littleblacksmith

19 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

or you could start with something much simpler.....

The voice of pragmatism rears its head! 

I agree with littleblacksmith. There are far easier options out there that may, in fact, result in a better knife. 

If, however, the whole goal of the knife project is to make it from that specific item, follow the advice you were already given. 

Regarding your forge, in my opinion, every single forge should be able to reach welding temperatures. Forge welding is not a master level technique, nor is it useful for making Damascus alone. It is a basic skill that is incorporated in many tasks and projects, and if your equipment won't allow you to do that, all you're doing is limiting yourself. 

20 hours ago, insiderian said:

i can't forge weld (my forge doesn't get hot enough), Any suggestions or do i need to get a better forge setup.

Fix the forge set up first. Please post photos so we can see what you have now and can make suggestions for improving it.