I Forge Iron

The Rolling Anvil project update

When I started flintknapping it was the pre-internet days in the sense that nobody had websites and there was no such thing as YouTube so you had to seek out others to learn and buy VHS tapes on it.  Now the people I teach pick it up so much quicker because of all the resources, but I will say they don't tend to form the deep relationships and friendships I've formed. 

I hope to form those same relationships with smiths in my area.

Being self taught is over rated, I learned more in a week after the net went public than I had in years before. I've never knapped flint but an old indian showed me how to select obsidian that fractures properly then it was easy. I'd been going nuts I just couldn't get it to even be predictable so I hunted an old guy up. He owned a rock shop and after buying some coprolite book ends and a nice quart crystal for my Sister he took me out back and showed me.

He could eyeball obsidian and select good core or flake material so he picked one whacked it with a rock hammer, showed me the steep concoidal fracture and wavy faces and said, "no good." Then grabbed another piece whacked it, showed me the smooth reasonably flat fractures and said, "good." Then he gave me the LOOK and I felt like an idiot. Table after table of obsidian and the good from the bad knapping stone was right in front of your eyes everywhere, plain as day. Maybe one of these days I'll get to give flint a try.

It's hard to understate the value of a demonstration, even a quicky, the obvious sometimes takes experience to recognize.

Frosty The Lucky.