I Forge Iron

Anvil ID and Quality?

I just saw the following anvil for sale near my location. At first glance, it seemed to be a bit heavy for my needs as a beginner, particularly since I am still building my shop. The seller mentions that it is about 350# but the single picture doesn't show any markings on it. I'm also puzzled about the hole on the side being so close to the surface and wondering about its quality. Could this be a cast iron anvil with no hardened face? The price seems quite low at about $1/pound.

I've asked the seller for more pictures, particularly of the surface and any markings on the anvil. I will post them as soon as I receive any.

Worth the time to go and see this in person? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

S_27.jpg

$1. A lb. is a good price. How far is it that you would have to travel to see it in person. #1 would be a rebound test. At 350lbs there is more then enough good surface area over the sweet spot to just not hammer over that hole in the side.  To me it "looks" like a wrought iron anvil that probably has a steel faceplate. So if it isn't too far go give it a rebound test and if that's good then personally I think it should be fine. Just my opinion. 

Thanks for the comments Daswulf. I will only be able to do a partial rebound test with a small ball peen hammer, as I don't have a ball bearing yet. The one scrap yard I have visited so far didn't have any and I didn't expect to have to test an anvil so soon.

I'm waiting to see if the seller has some additional pictures he can send me. Like I mentioned, it is perhaps too heavy for what I need and the small workshop I am currently building. It will be hard to move around, or even unload from my trailer for that matter. And I would have to keep it outdoors (I'd wrap it up to protect it from the rain) until the workshop is built.

I was on the lookout for something in the 120-200# range, but seeing an anvil for sale at such a low price is quite tempting. Did I mention that the price is in Canadian dollars? ;) That would make it about $0.85/pound in USD.

That one's almost all sweet spot. The length and shape of the horn and the hole in the side makes me think it's a chain maker's anvil. There would be tooling inserted in the receiver hole in the side if that were the case. Whatever the intended purpose it is a specialized tool but perfectly suitable for general blacksmithing. Like Das says, take a ball bearing and maybe a light ball pein hammer and do a rebound test.

If you're not familiar the test is to measure how hard the face is which is an indication of how well it'll return energy to the work when you hammer against it. Simply brush loose dirt and grit off the face then drop the bearing observe how far back it bounces (rebounds) and guesstimate as a percentage. In general, less than 50% and it's a stinker, above 75% and it's pretty good, break 90% and she's a gem.

I see you just responded to Das so forget the bearing and go with the ball pein. It'd probably work better anyway the surface roughness the face looks to have would probably send a bearing ball somewhere to hide forever. 

At $1.00/lb. anything above say 60% rebound and it's a darned good deal, if and when you find something you like better this old lady has antique value as she sits, bet you could double your money without too much trouble.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thanks Frosty. Yes, I've read about the rebound test in the "Anvils: A beginner buyers guide". I'm re-reading it now to refresh my memory and see the particulars of how to perform the test with a ball peen hammer instead of a ball bearing... (Can't see anything about that.) Would the added mass of the hammer affect how much rebound I'd get?

Yup, if the rebound is good this one would get you going until you find what you are really after. And like Frosty mentioned you could get use out of it And probably even turn a profit of you sell it. 

Using a smaller ballpein I usually just hold very light at the end of the handle and let the head drop from about 10" or so above the face and see how high it rebounds. No real grip on the handle just letting the handle rest in the hand. 

Prices like that in many areas in the world, they go quick. Best thing to do if you are looking is to have cash on hand and be educated on the differences between a good anvil and an ASO. good luck on the next one.