I Forge Iron

Need to be portable

First I would like to say thanks for all of the suggestions I have received. I now have the forge cleaned up and ready to go. After cleaning and other suggestions the blower now works nice-leaks a little-but turns fine. My next projects is the make the forge and an anvil stand to be movable. Because of storage problems I have to move the forge and anvil outside from my garage to use them. I would appreciate any suggestions, pictures, or "don'ts" as I start on these projects.

I hope to have all ready to use as soon as Weather cooperates and gives me some nice days on my days off.
Thanks

I made my forge portable by using an old cart for folding chairs. I cut it down to fit the legs of my forge, needed to be shorter and wider. My anvil is homemade and I have it welded to a 4" square tube that is welded to an old tractor flywheel. My leg vise is also mounted to a stand made on top of a flywheel but that needs to be a larger diameter base, enough weight but kinda tippy. To move the anvil and the vise I just use a cheap 2 wheel cart. I don't have any pictures now but I could take some tomorrow if you would like.

I couldn't use my forge inside my shop/garage if I wanted to as it is an attached single car garage, so I put wheels on my forge stand from the gitgo. I wheel it outside the door to use, let it cool and roll back in when done. My "shop" is set up so everything; anvil, power hammer, etc, can be reached within a step or two from the forge.

20080216_002_.jpg 20080208.jpg

I have my forge in the yard,just in front of the "shop",due to less of space inside.The anvil is inside,although not the best place,but im not like Conan,to move it(about 100 kg).I hope i could send a picture,i try at least.If you want move the anvil,maybe a small trolley(like for transporting gas tanks) might be usable.

Mine is a peice of Ibeam with a peice of platewelded on with the walls of the I beam sticking up so it's like a box to hold tools. Two legs on the back and a peic of 4" tubing upright with a plare on the botom and a plate ontop for the vice bracket. You can easily put an axel on the back legs.
Travis

Ok here are some pics that I just took. The first 2 are of my forge, it just sits on the cart. Next weekend the forge hood build begins. I had started on one with some stainless but it started to look way too much like a hood for a Farmall M and I decided that I' rather work with new material. The third one is my homemade Anvil. I havent wrestled it onto the scale yet but I'm guessing it's around 200 Lbs. The last one is my leg vise the upright pipe is 5" and filled with sand for weight. I picked the vise up at the little giant hammer in this winter. Please don't nail me on my lack of guards on the grinder in pic 1 it's not in use until I get guards and tool rests built I have another little one that I use.

5536.attach

5537.attach

5538.attach

5539.attach

Find an old gas grill cart, remove the grill and build your forge where it used to be. Works for solid fuel forges and gassers too!. (I used to have my propane forge on a old grill cart and it even had a space for the propane tank.)

If your anvil is firmly mounted on it's stand and you will be going over hard level surfaces, look into "tip back wheels".

My travel anvil's stump has large handles on the sides and had two 2x4 blocks mounted to hold the anvil between them for easy removal so you can carry and load the anvil seperately in the truck

Posting photos is not difficult. Posting photos in the forum explains the process.

link.jpg
Highlight and copy the URL under the image in the gallery (see arrow) and paste it into the forum where you want the thumbnail to appear. It is just that easy.

sorry,the only problem,that i dont understand even the half of the explanation,and doing around computer not long ago as well.It's a learning process,do my best anyway.Guess it'll be ok soon.Looking up in the dictionary taking a pretty lot of time.But hope dies at least,i keep on triing:rolleyes: