I Forge Iron

Good starter anvil?

Hello again. I am currently using an Anvil Shaped Object to forge, and I am looking to upgrade. Does anyone have experience or know if the anvil in the link would be a good anvil? I am mostly forging smallish knives at the moment. Thanks! http://oldworldanvils.com/anvils/4x4-stake-anvil.html

Scruffy

Unfortunately, the scrap yards around here only buy and recycle steel, they don't sell it to anyone. That's why I originally bought an anvil from harbor freight. There are a few steel shops I could call, however, to see if they sell scraps. Is there a specific type of steel I should ask for, or will any carbon or tool steel work? Does it need to be heat treated? Thanks,

Scruffy

3 hours ago, Scruffylookingnerfherder said:

Is there a specific type of steel I should ask for, or will any carbon or tool steel work? Does it need to be heat treated? Thanks,

4340, 4140,1045, just to name a couple. I would choose a 4XXX over a 1045 drop, if you had the choice. Those are just a few of the common ones a machine shop might have. You don't have to have it heat treated, it would hold up better if properly heat treated, but if it was me, I'm cheap, and so I wouldn't bother heat treating it. Hot steel is hopefully softer than a cold 4140 anvil!;)

Littleblacksmith

19 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

My local scrapyard was selling appx 4x8x8" chunks of steel for US$16  about 72 pounds; If you are ever down my way, let me know and I'll take you there.

Thanks for the offer! We do occasionally travel down to Albequerque, but that's not exactly close to El Paso.