I Forge Iron

Interesting forge design

This is my first forge that I picked up off of craigslist. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this forge design and how to use it more effectively. I use the bricks in the middle as a makeshift fire pot, and the blower is powered by a handle that is just out of frame, connected to a system of wheels and leather belts.

Thanks!

Scruffy

1497644467777.jpg

1497644733889.jpg

1497644904429.jpg

1497645203331.jpg

You are definitely on the right track. These forges were designed for coal, but adding the bricks will increase the depth to what you'll need for charcoal (as you noted in your other thread). Oil up the blower, and go gentle on the blast: charcoal needs a lot less air than you think it will.

How would one go about claying it? 

Also, forgive my ignorance, but from what the interwebs say, banking is for keeping a fire going for long periods without adding new fuel? What is the difference between the banking you mean and that? Are they the same?

Thanks for your assistance

Scruffy

Banking a fire simply means piling more on it. In a non-smithing context, that means piling up ashes to insulate it and slow down the burn. In a smithing context, it's piling up more fuel to increase the size of the fire. 

On June 17, 2017 at 1:07 AM, Scruffylookingnerfherder said:

How would one go about claying it? 

There are several threads on IFI about claying a forge. Seek, and Ye shall Find. 

(Pro tip: the search function for the forum is...quirky. The best way to find what you need is to use the search engine of your choice and include "iforgeiron.com" as a search term.)

DAMP, NOT wet. You aren't pouring concrete just making something to disperse the heat. Laying mud means it will shrink check as it dries. Enough moisture to make it actually pliable means the water is displacing mineral particles which will be drawn back into the voids as the water evaporates. Just a little moisture acts as a lubricant so particles can be forced closer together and into smaller voids, AKA compacts harder.

Frosty The Lucky.

Alright, so I recently discovered a farrier supply store within driving distance that sells coal. I'll have to do some research on how to maintain a coal fire, but if I do pick some up, how does it change how I operate the forge? Do I still need to use bricks as a fire pot? Can I use more air than I do with charcoal? Thanks!

Scruffy