I Forge Iron

First attempt at making tongs

Medic Zack

First of all, I would like to introduce myself as I am new to both the form and blacksmithing. My name is Zack and I am a sergeant with a large EMS agency in NC. I would also like to thank everyone on this site especially the old timers for sharing their knowledge. Even though this is my first post, I have spent countless hours reading previous threads over the past months and the knowledge I have gained has been invaluable. It is only because of this that I have recently been able to construct my first forge and start the long learning process of hammering steel. 

So today, I had some time off (which is a huge rarity working EMS) and decided to attempt making a set of tong as a learning experience. I had some scrap 1/2 inch round and square stock just laying thay were both about 18 inches and seemed up to the task. I didn't have any particular design in mind when I started other than something that would help me grab flat bar stock.

Overall, I am very proud of the results. Mostly the fact that I actually have a working set of to tongs even if they aren't the pretty ones around. I am particularly happy about the way the reins turned out as the contours ended up fiting my hand wonderfully. I know that I have a long way to go, especially with my hammering technique as you can tell by all the marks, but feel as though this was a great start. 

20170612_213513.jpg

20170612_213553.jpg

Welcome aboard Zack, glad to have you. Thanks for being EMS, you're life savers, I know. 

Those are very reminiscent of the tongs found in the Mastermyr Viking tool box find. How do they work? They not only look better than my first pair they probably, heck certainly, work better.

Well done Zack. Welcome to the addiction.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

welcome Zack First you are in a good place. Make sure you get involved in the NC blacksmithing Association. Peter Ross dose demo's at meeting and there are a great group of people Blacksmithing in the state. There is a lot that goes on in the Raleigh area. http://www.theblacksmithsanvil.com/index.php Make sure you meet Amous He is a great Guy

• 4 weeks later...

When it comes to blacksmithing: I consider making knives *right* as pretty much graduate level work; though there are a lot of shivs being produced...Learning temperature ranges, alloys, distal tapers, heat treating, finishing, hilting, etc on top of the basic blacksmithing skills of fire control and hammer control

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a several videos on making tongs over and over, before I made my first tongs.  After 8 pairs I was getting much better and made some good ones.  I learned the most from the videos from Brian Brazeal.  Also, I was fortunate enough to participate in a class at the Bonneville Forge Council with Mark Aspery for a Saturday. That day I learned some great techniques for making tongs.

Keep at it and don't be satisfied with just one set. Make another set and then another.