I Forge Iron

Buffalo, NY Blacksmiths

I'm new to blacksmithing and I'm learning as I go. I was wondering if there are any blacksmiths in the Buffalo, NY area that would be interested in meeting up. I see a lot of people interested in obtaining anvils on craigslist, but I don't know if that means they are into it, or if they are just into "antiques" and flipping craigslist items. I have a small, charcoal forge that I made in my backyard and a nice little anvil I've been using. What I need now is some like-minded people to talk to about this wonderful new hobby and get some tips for being a better blacksmith.

Joe

Yeah, I think you might luck out on that one Joe I seem to recall a few New Yorkers around here somewhere. I recon one will speak up eventually and tip you to the others.

Hey, Theo?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty! I did a little digging online and found out that Buffalo has a chapter of the New York State Designer Blacksmiths organization. I reached out to them and got some info. I am planning on going to their July 9th meeting. 

Thanks again!

Joe

Yes, Buffalo has an active chapter of the NYSDB (Niagara region).  There are quite a few talented smiths in that group with plenty to teach.  

Unfortunately Theo, in Brooklyn if I recall correctly, is a good 7 hr drive away.  New York may not be as large as Alaska Frosty, but it is no Rhode Island either...

• 1 year later...

Yea, I’m a starting Smith here in Holland NY, I have the stuff needed to start a forge. But I’m waiting to put up a “shed” to work in as my smithy. I’d like to learn the proper technique at the anvil before I start at my own. Just talking with other Smith’s would be a learning experience 

Welcome aboard Nathan, glad to have you. You can start talking by putting your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. Just saying where you live in one post isn't going to stick in anybody's memory once they open another post.

There are a lot of folk on the forum from NY. I don't know the state but there are more than one blacksmith organizations, I'm sure one is within a reasonable distance or someone attending might be driving by and offer a ride. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hiya shloelessjoek, welcome to the addiction! I see this thread is a bit dated now but I was still in the hospital back in June so I'm playing catch up. Got hit by a car back in February and was still in the hospital at the time. I see you have discovered the NYSDB and hopefully by now you have attended a meeting. I joined them in 2005 or 06 after fumbling around on my own since 2000 when I found my first anvil in Holland, N.Y. If you attended that meeting I'm sure you realized that you will learn a lot right quick by being surrounded with folks who know what they are doing rather than being on your own with only youtube and books. I lived in Rushford at the time then moved to Geneseo. That's when I learned about the NYSDB, attended a meeting at Honeyoye Falls and joined the Genesee forge. I still have big gaps in my memory from the accident due to the TBI, Honeyoye Falls was just one member's shop and I don't recall where the regular meetings were held. The Rochester Arc And Flame Center is their home now but I haven't been there since being there and mig welding the firepots and coal forges to get the place ready. You will find that attending meetings at memder's shops apart from the home forge is common. I belonged to the Genesee forge but also regularly attended the Southern Tier forge as well so have been to meetings in Churchville, Honeyoye Falls, Angelica, Corning, and Hammondsport. There are smiths peppered all over the map who are not affiliated with groups such as NYSDB or ABANA too, one of them is near you in North Java. I bought a Champion post drill, a floor mandrel and a colonial anvil from him. So you see, we are out there (not just figuratively). Hopfully you have joined the group and I encourage you to attend those other chapter meetings now and then as well. I am in Clarence (Erie county) now and have yet to attend a Niagara region meeting but am looking forward to joining. I'm still on the mend from getting hit by the car so I can't drive yet but soon enough. Anyway, welcome.