I Forge Iron

Hot Slitter Question

Okay, 

After doing some research after a fairly major terminology mistake over at the hot cut thread, I guess my question belongs here. 

My question is, can I take this old cold chisel (pictured), which I originally thought was 1045 but it is actually S grade steel,  and turn it into a splitter for making railroad spike split crosses?

received_10158824986345301.jpeg

Yes you can; the question is how well it would work; so first:

How did you determine it is S grade?  (The end damage looks more like a non S steel)

Do you know which grade?   Information on forging and heat treating S7 tools has already been posted around these parts. I would just like to remind you that for grades like S-1 normalization is NOT suggested (almost heresy for knifemaking smiths; but that is what the ASM handbook says!) And remember that the high alloy steels are not usually cooled in water during use.

Well, Mr. Powers, 

It hasn't been determined for sure, but there is an old blacksmith that works for us by the name of Bill Wolfe. He does demonstrations out at the old Civil War Fort in Larned, KS. Anyway that's not the point. The point is, I asked him about it and he said it is MOST LIKELY, keywords, most likely not 1045 but instead more likely to be S steel as S is good for impact resistance. 

He also did say and I quote, "I could be wrong, though" Lol.

So yeah. 

I'd do a spark test on it as the high alloy steels usually throw a different spark than plain steels.

I'd also like to know how you came up with 1045 as that seems a bit low for a cold chisel, the plain steel chisels being up around the eutectic in my experience. (75-86 points C)

It would be a rare thing for a chisel or other tool to have what steel it's made from to be stamped on it. I have never seen it done. 

Most likely was the model number. If you know the maker and number you "might" be able to find out what they were made of. 

From all I could quickly find it would just be a 3 digit item # I didn't find any specifics. Someone probably knows more. 

For a hot cut it will probably lose any heat treat in using it anyway. We're it me, I'd just forge/grind it to shape and try it. Just my 2cents. Then again finding used old cold cut chisels for me around here it's about a dime a dozen. Ok, sometimes 25-50 cents each. That's only if they are nice. And big ones maybe a dollar. 

I'll give that a shot Daswulf. (I like that name by the way. I'm assumingyou're German blooded then?)

ThomasPowers,

Okay, so as you suggested I darfed and blattened that chisel but instead of a schizoid heat treat I went ahead and just dinglehopped it into a ploppel ... err.. um... wrong topic.  Lol (For those of you who are confused by this, you really need to check out the post at the hot cut thread about my using the wrong terminology. I had been using a term I had heard from a bladesmith friend of mine and Thomas had a pretty witty reply. Quite funny! You'll get a laugh. I sure did) 

Anyway, I spark tested it. Kinda looked like an evergreen tree. Sharp sparks with crow's feet on the ends. Sparks stayed pretty tight and didn't really fly all over the place. Orangish-gold color. I'm guessing some type of high carbon steel. 

I'll keep a small coffee can of water nearby to cool the top and let you know how it works 

Why not just take some coil spring? or even better, buy some knowns steel, so you don't have to go through all of this. It seems like a lot of trouble. I could even ship you some coil spring, if you are really desperate.

Littleblacksmith