I Forge Iron

Switch Issues

OK, so i have an older Lincoln 225 AC/DC buzzbox, and the power switch has gone bad. it turns on fine but wont turn off properly. when you push it down into the "off" position, instead of turning off it snaps back into the ON position. If i try long enough it will lock in and shut it off but it takes a bit. has anyone else had this issue? do i need to replace the switch or can it be fixed? if i do need to get an other one, were can you find them? i was hunting online with no luck. thanks.

Here's an "Instructable" that might help (Step 6) -

http://www.instructables.com/id/Refreshing-your-Lincoln-AC-225-220V-tombstone-weld/

I'd think that you could take it apart and see if there's a detent or spring not working right and probably get it working again. I tend to take everything apart and fix it, even drilling out rivets to get things apart, but I'm just cheap that way.

Sometimes I have that same problem. I found it gets worse the longer you let the project sit before reassembly. Guess my memory ain't what it used to be.

Just make sure it's unplugged and something about a big capacitor(s) inside the thing that might still be holding a charge.

at first I wasn't sure what kind of switch you were going to be talking about, then I saw it was posted in the welding section, and was a bit relieved. hahaha

Littleblacksmith

I am extremely very terribly surprised you didn't receive help when you called Lincoln Electric for customer support or used their online catalog!   But then I tend to think of contacting the manufacturer when I have an issue with their product or need parts over asking random people on the web.

9 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

:P I'm a bit on the old side for that, Mark.^_^

well, at least they let me pick my own. I only  had to do it a handful of times though, thank goodness, I'm trying not to make it a regular thing!

Littleblacksmith

Uh huh, Thomas beat me to the "CALL THE MANUFACTURER!" suggestion. A can of keyboard duster and blowing the dust out of switches now and then helps. The air hose tends to blow water too so I don't recommend the air hose. Dialectric grease is made for stiff plugs and such, I have to keep a tube in the pickup or the snow plow plugs are a main PITA to plug and unplug. A LITTLE dab will do ya.

Frosty The Lucky.