I Forge Iron

Hay Budden

also, what is your idea of "perfect rebound"? 100%? was that with the ball bearing test?

Littleblacksmith

On the front of the foot under the horn, and no because they are serially numbered so no way to tell a "1" from a "10" from a "100", from a "1000" from a "10000" from a "100000" or a "123456" for that matter...now at some point they did switch to using A and then the number and so If you can see and A then you know it's after the cutover.

Now if you can read the first number and get a good idea of how many more there were there there is a date range that could be given.

Depends on how you define "generation".  I tend to use the switch to the solid, no faceplate top in 1908 as the second generation in which case this is NOT second generation . If you consider them using the 'topheavy" design second generation then this occurred after 1895 and before 1900 and so very likely 2nd generation.

a 135 pound HB in good shape is worth US$3 a pound in your area.  Can you evaluated the "good Shape" part?  I've seen anvils with broken off heels sold as being in good shape, anvils with the face ground to paper thin thickness listed as "good shape", anvils that have been through a structure fire and now dead soft listed as good shape.