I Forge Iron

Forge welding with borax

I did my first forge weld with borax as flux today.  I welded mystery metal to mystery metal so I used borax.  The weld was successful but I ended up with some black scale(?) very brittle on the metal and anvil.  Is this normal or was I just lucky it took?   All the forge welds before have been with known metals or RR spikes so no flux.  It just looked strange and seemed like there was a lot of it.  I stuck the cooled piece in the vise and rapped it a couple of times without any damage to weld.

Thanks

Papy

Black scale/slag is pretty normal.  Spidery looking frozen droplets where the stuff splashed and froze on the cold anvil face?  Yup sounds bout right.

If you have been successfully forge welding without flux on a variety of steels including RR spikes (old and rusty I presume?) keep up the good work, well done.  Flux helps but is NOT a requirement for forge welding.  Keep working/practicing and note all of the variables when things go well or go badly.  

For a serious test bend your weld cold to 90 degrees in a vise .  If it breaks or delaminates look closely at the weld, black spots are inclusions or places that never welded, bright areas were welded but failed from the stress of the bend.

Good Man!  Cleanliness is one of the 3 legs of the forge welding tripod!   The others are temperature and pressure: max anyone of them out and you can get a solid phase weld. Examples: Cleanliness---Vacuum welding; Pressure---Explosive welding; Temperature---Forge welding.  So the more you use all of them the easier it is to weld.

Thomas that sounds like NO fun.

Jennifer. I'm watching your videos (and others) trying to figure out how to do this craft.  As soon as I have something to show I'll post it...but...don't hold your breath. I'd hate to have that on my conscious. :)