I Forge Iron

Making bolts

I am fixing up a sorghum cain Mill.  Need some 18 inch 3/4 diameter bolts.  They are almost $30 online so I figured I'd forge them.  I upset them just using the post vice and a ball pien, some just banging the rod vertically on the anvil.  I guess this is functional but ugly.  Was wondering if it would be worth making a little header out of angle iron to hold the piece all around the edge.  

image.jpg

Hi,

I see no ugly :) but you got yourself some thickening under the head which can be frustrating to file/grind to have the screw fit. If I had the same job I'd make the header as a nail header with 3/4" hole. I'd upset the very end of the rod then shaped the head while it's in the header. It'd become round of course but you can easily square it after.

I don't say this is the best method, but right now I'm thinking it could do it :)

Bests:

Gergely

I wouldn't make a header out of angle iron, it'll just bend. If you make one make it from something solid & chunky so it can take the heat & beats.

You may want to consider making a simple spring swage to re-round up the shaft under the head. Filing/grinding back to a perfect round is a bit of a chore.

Thanks Gentlemen, I will just drill a hole in a piece of 1/2 inch stock. Not sure why my mind was going to a header that would split in the middle made from angle iron.  I can simply drive it out when I have enough upset for the head and that will also keep the shank from swelling up under the head.  

From what I can see in the picture it looks like there might be a crack at the bottom of the head to the shank..  This area is notorious for that kind of crack.. 

Not to promote my video "How To" s  but because there is information on the tong making which applies to any head forms it might be worth it for you to watch..  Also the hinge pintel making video has a bolt header I use...  Anyhow, just good resources.. 

I'd suggest a good radius at the head to shank otherwise the head will pop off even in a 3/4" size as a crack will form there..