I Forge Iron

fire pot substitutuions

A hibachi works as will a cast iron fry pan or shallow pot.

A large cast iron plumbing cap though you're unlikely to find one large enough to make a satisfying fire pot. Maybe they make caps for cast iron sewer pipe that'd work.

There are steel weld caps that'd work.

That's about all I can think of off the top right now but anything that'll take the heat (depending on how long you need it for of course) should do it.

Frosty

My coal fire pot is the axle cover from a 1937 "Banjo" rear end. These were often made into jackstands over the years and I bought one such set at a fleamarket for US$3 once.

I ground out the bearing and a couple of casting ridges and welded on a sidepipe for air and a bracket to hold a cover on the bottom to dump ashes.

For a grate I use an old cast iron drain grate or a piece of expanded metal (replacing it every 20 or so hours of forging---but it's free as scrap so...)

This firepot has been going strong for over 20 years now---and I have the other one as a backup in case I have to replace it!

BTW it's round.

I've got some old cast iron bells that were top caps for circa 1950's steel light poles.

They require a bit of modification, but they work well. You gotta figure a way to fit the 2" pipe into the bottom to rig your tuyre, and fabricate a grate of some sort. I used one for several years until I built my forge with the Centaur pot.

The bells are free; I occasionally rescue one from our scrap dumpster.

Don

My firepot is an old cast iron floor drain, the kind that was embedded directly into concrete. The inside is hemispherical, about 12” diameter. It has a 2” hole in the bottom, with a collar attached. There is, however, a frame cast into the top where the grate would have been, making it square where it mounts into the forge table. It’s about 4” deep, but it’s only about

Old gas water heater tank. Cut off the end where the burner heated the tank. Has a nice subtle cone shape, and the vent tube is already welded in place for an air tube. Weld a piece of the vent tube at a 90 degree angle and you have a air tube. Use a couple pieces of 1/2 inch square or round welded in place in the hole for a grate, and your in business.

Just be careful cutting into the tank, as there is an explosion hazard depending on the amount of rust, dirt, etc. inside the tank. Closed container cutting rules apply. I'll post some pics of what I have done with mine so far later.

aaron c.

Water heaters tanks are raw iron outside (under the insulation and outer skin) and glass lined (enamel) on the inside.

Keykeeper suggests using the bottom of the heater, but I like the top because there are four nice 3/4 inch nipples to attach legs.

I made this little forge from a water heater twenty years ago. It's kinda small but it gets the job done.

5574.attach

The only coating I see is a blue color on the inside tank surfaces. Probably the enamel Nett spoke of. Very thin coating at that.

I would think that if it is galvanized, I wouldn't use it to begin with, Phil. I stay away from anything galvanized.