I Forge Iron

Hello from NY

RobS

Hello,

I have been wanting to get into real blacksmithing a bit more lately and this place seems to be one of the busier forums I've found.

I've been dabbling in "Hammering" since I was a toddler bending grandpa's nails, tools, and anything else he had not bolted down. Then in high school shop class I got to play with milling machine, lather, rolls, brake, spot stick welder, and forge.  This was the first time I got to use a forge and work with hot metal.  Made projects like a 4lb hammer, punches, toolbox, sai, and started hammering a sword until the principle caught wind of it... then it became a pry bar.

Years later I worked at a sawmill and did circular saw maintenance after hours.  This was all cold hammering warped blades to straighten them, brazing teeth, sharpening etc.  Also did a lot of odds and ends fab work for my step dad in his garage.   Mostly things like rebuilding trailers, hay wagons, fixing broken log chains.

So anyway, I've been puttering around for 30+ years and decided I would like to really start working hot metal.  A knife or two would be cool, but I'm interested in everything; decorative things like pulls, strap hinges, hangers, hooks; functional things like hammers, tongs, drifts, tooling in general.  My interests run the whole gambit from backyard smelting to building a power hammer.  I have always been creative, but since getting married and having kids, I have had no room, money, or time for a real creative outlet in the last 10 years.  

I am hoping to buy a home in the next 5 years and hope to have some man space for my woodshop and some space for a Smithy.

Nice to meet you all,

Rob Smith

Rob,

Welcome aboard, with your interests you should fit in well here.  You should also consider joining the New York State Designer Blacksmith's group.  We are a fairly active group with several branches in Upstate New York.  There are monthly meetings, workshops, and "All Hands" gatherings for weekends full of smithing activities.  You can find out more about the group here: http://www.nysdb.org/.  Please note that we have an upcoming All Hands gathering in Bath, NY May 5-7.

Thanks for the heads up on the meeting.  I will try to make it.  I don't have anything to donate to the iron in the hat, so cash will have to do.  Also I don't have any tools to bring to the open forge, so I will be just a spectator for now.  

Thanks

Rob