I Forge Iron

One of my worst nightmares came true

BIGGUNDOCTOR

I havnt eaten one yet.  I'd be interested if the recipe if it sounds good. I got them to breed and sell them but they are too good at hiding the nests and not good as parents. last year they hatched out 5 keets and I planned on grabbing them the next day but something got them that night. by the time I heard them alarming in the tree and went out with a flashlight it was too late. Found feathers and one dead keet. Before that I have seen two sitting on a mountain of eggs and other old nests with many rotten eggs that looked like a critter had got to.

Aus, Cool picture. Every evening my guineas sleep in a pine tree outside of my shop. you can always hear them right before dark running around on the roof before they fly into the tree. lots of pitter patter. 

Guinea fowl are worthless mothers. They let the keets get lost, washed away in the rain or just left behind. Perhaps that's why they lay so many eggs - the survival rate for keets is dismal. We grab the eggs as soon as possible and stick them under a bantam chook. Of course, when they hatch out they imprint on the bantam and follow her around constantly. Even when they are bigger, they still stay close and I wonder if they ever realise they are guineas and not chooks.

And Das, you wouldn't really want to eat one. I shot one of ours once to see what they are like. Very gamey, and stronger than turkey. The rest are safe.

Big Gun, I wondered the same thing because as little ones, they like to sit on the hen's back at night. Here is a pic of a couple of lavender guineas getting on board. Not a great pic, as it's taken through the mesh but you get the idea.

DSC_7421.JPG