I Forge Iron

• 3 weeks later...

I want to first apologize for not putting up any pics of the process. I wanted to and said that I would, but I wasn't allowed to use my phone to take the pics. So please accept my apologies for this. I CAN how ever say that it is finished now and looks pretty good if I do say so myself lol :D . Here is a pic of the finished product. There are a couple of things, however, that I should have and would have done differently now that I look back at how I did some things but it turned out well.

Here's the pics:

RR_Anvil-1.jpg
RR_Anvil-2.jpg

All criticism welcome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Farmer Phil, have you thought perhaps of building a firepit / primitive forge then switching between your torch and a good ole' fashioned chisel? I'd think if you were to start a few inches back from where you wanted the cut, chiseling in toward the core with a chisel like chopping a tree could save you alot of gas.

Another idea, if you can get near the site with a vehicle (Close enough to run a small contractor sized compressor via. a power inverter) You could save quite a bit of bottled O2 by using a blowgun to move the melt out of your way. I had some pretty thick stuff to cut while working at the Airport and found it to be a pretty effective way of conserving resources (Boss was making wire out of pennies... lol. ) Just be sure to bring the leather apron, cap and a face sheild to wear over the goggles.