I Forge Iron

New

Arkham

Hello all,

So I have been interested in blacksmithing as long as I can remember. About 18 months ago I decided that I would take action and give it a try. I have been reading several books and watching every video I can find that has any relationship to the art. I have also been searching for items to get started. I have applied for membership in the local abana affiliate near me and just signed up to this forum.

Welcome aboard Arkham glad to have you. I'm not sure what you mean by "items to get started". Do you mean beginning projects? Perhaps tools and equipment? I'm thinking a good beginning project for you might be a Batarang. :ph34r:

Getting hooked up with a local organization will get you on the way about as fast as any way I know. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Tools and equipment primarily. I have been picking up scrap metal as I come across it. I have a couple buckets full of metal to use. I went by a scrap yard the other day to purchase some metal to build a forge. While there I passively asked if they ever come across anvils. To my astonishment they said they had one sitting in a shed, if I was interested they would weigh it. Story short I got some angle iron and some plate to build a hearth for a fire pot that I had previously welded up from 7/8" steal. Along with a Trenton Anvil and all metal stand that had combined weight of 502 lbs.58cba200a29b4_trentonanvilstand.thumb.png.3041278651ccfa0e2e31a09ceceba998.png

trentonanvilbase.png

So the anvil weighs 199.8 lbs., it has a clear makers mark along with the serial # 201925. I had borrowed Richard Postmans AIA from the library sometime ago, and if I recall there may have been a chart with serial #'s from Columbus Forge and Iron that would indicate about when this anvil was forged. If anyone has access to this, I would love to know the date or any other information about it.trentonmakersmark.thumb.png.d15939cf1c29c984f63aeda0af6ba7d9.png

So I have a couple of anvils, leg vise, some hammers. I plan on building my forge soon. I am looking for tongs now, I have seen on this forum the value of being able to hold your work safely.

I think I'm being realistic about my expectations. I plan on starting out just tapering, bending, twisting, upsetting some metal. Do simple shapes and scrolls. Once I figure out something, I'll do it 10 more times, then move on to the next challenge.

I looking forward right now to just getting coal to burn.

Crytin,

I have looked at the BAM calendar, and am aware that the conference was just around the corner. As I have just sent in my membership application and have not received any correspondence back, I have not made any definite plans. I do hope to attend and meet several local Smiths in the area.