I Forge Iron

My new anvil

Was out fishing with my father on the weekend and he spotted my fishing knife I had made myself. He was quite impressed -  I dont think I had bothered telling him I had picked up a bit of blacksmithing as a hobby. He said to me he had some stuff I might like. Dropped this little baby off today, along with 4 sets of black trailer springs for my steel stockpile!

I currently have a little 20kg cast steel london pattern anvil I use. It is getting relegated to the back of the shed, and I am cleaning this bewdy up for use!

It is oxy cut, probably the best torch work I have ever seen, almost cant see the ripples, only feel them as you rub your fingers across it. 20cm high,  14cm wide x 15cm long. Wont take much to clean up. Certainly thicker than the one I have, and probably at least 10kg heavier and all the weight is actually under where the hammer will be hitting! (The London pattern one probably only has about half its mass under the main striking area).

anvil1.jpg

anvil2.jpg

yes seems to have two edges radiused, or least well on the way there. A quick calculation based on steel density would indeed put it slightly over the 30kg mark. I'm going to wire brush it off on the weekend and hit it up with 1/3 sheet sander on top (keep my sanding work as flat as possible). See how she tarts up.

Okay, spent an hour or so cleaning up my new toy this morning. Once I got the rust off, the cutting marks were a little more obvious. It took me a good hour or so to clean it up to a nice smooth surface.

Initial clean with a flap disk to see what was there, then hit it with a grinder until most of the torch marks were out of the top face, then flap disk again until I was happy with the top, then cleaned off the other faces with the half worn flap disk..

Had a number stamped in to the side of the block as well. 2K4822  Did a search and all that came up was a list of caterpillar parts with that number in some foreign tractor sales web site. No photos on there unfortunately,  so I dont know if it was a coincidence or not.

Can see my little 20kg anvil in a one of the photo's for scale. This block is definitely much bigger, will probably put a mount for this over one of the other legs on my table for the moment.  (rubbed it with a bit of oil from my quench tank until I get around to putting some marine grease on it.)

IMG_20170318_093943462.jpg

IMG_20170318_094853105.jpg

IMG_20170318_101452077.jpg

IMG_20170318_102619369.jpg

IMG_20170318_102845525.jpg

IMG_20170318_102849650.jpg

number.jpg