I Forge Iron

Help with info on SS

Hi names mick, looking for help on smelting SS for I am getting heavy into making knives and have a great supply of SS chips at hand.was wondering if anyone could help on learning the ways and or finding someone to do the job for I have the materials. Would love to get into the field just have no idea how to go about it. Much appreciated!

LHR Mick

Smelting is taking ore and making metal from it.  You can't smelt stainless steel as it's an alloy of various metals mixed together after they are individually smelted.

Did you mean melting/casting/foundry work?  Melting and casting of steel is very expensive not the least for the large amount of safety gear needed and it is NEEDED; (I know a fellow who was doing his own alloying using the thermite reaction; he was getting very interesting results until he suddenly stopped as he was going blind from it and he had been wearing safety gear!)

So what to do with stainless swarf?  Look up cannister damascus or mosaic damascus for ways to use it for knifemaking that are within the skills and equipment of a bladesmith.  What alloys of stainless do you have?  And where in the world are you at?  I could suggest classes on it if I know what country you were in...

Hi Mick and welcome!

Based on your words you have no clue about the how to-s. So Nr1. task would be to read a bit. This site has real helpful info from the very beginning to the expert levels. You can find titles of books here, too. Those written by very good craftsmen can enhance your knowledge. And it is useful to know what you want to do.

As for the SS chips. In this situation of yours the wisest choice would be to sell the chips for a scrap yard and use the money to get some usable steel pieces for knife making.

Please don't take my assuming and suggestions as an offense. I may understand your situation wrong. I say what I say with a good and helping heart.

Good luck:

Gergely

Welcome aboard Mick, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. 

I'm afraid what you'd like to do is just way out of the scope of a home shop. Recovering SS shavings and making them back into bar stock is . . . just not something you can do without EXPENSIVE equipment and training. Gergely's beat me to it, send it to the scrapper and buy some known knife steel. Believe me you'll be happier and produce MUCH better blades.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Mick.  Do a little research on chromium.  Its extremely toxic and is a component of SS.  At work we are not allowed to weld on it and i suppose that trying to melt it would be no different if not worse.  Its a hexavalent and any hexanes are bad stuff.  Scott.