I Forge Iron

Powell Anvil info

I found a "Powell" anvil for sale and thought i really NEED this since it's my name and all....  BUT i really like to know what I'm getting into.   I can't seem to find any real info about them other than a member here has one with no heel.      So...  how old?   how constructed?   

Good Morning,

I can guarantee you that it used to be a rock. It is difficult to answer your questions without more detail and pictures.

Put your location in your Avatar, there probably is someone near you that could answer your question.

Enjoy the Journey.

Neil

I have a Powell anvil---at lead Mr Postman said it was all I could read was POWE and I was hoping it was a Powers...

Mine is missing the heel but has a great hard face and a decent horn.  Run the ball bearing and the ring test on it and make your call against that data! Mine is traditionally forged with a face forged welded to it and a wrought iron body.

I love mine and use it for a heavy work anvil especially for my students as there is less they can do to damage it since the heel is already gone. Its around 120# as it currently stands and I paid US$40 for it at a fleamarket due to the "damage".