I Forge Iron

Hi from NW Arkansas

Just found this site.

I have been beating red hot metal for over 40 years. My mentor in the art was Isiac (Ike) Doss who first taught me to make a coal fire in his forge in Berryville. I seem to learn something new every time I fire up the forge. My wife and I are members of the Blacksmith's of Arkansas (BOA). My other passion is black powder firearms and shooting flintlocks.

Hello, glad to have you.  It sounds like you have a great deal more experience than I do.  The only thing I can tell you is that if you add your location to your profile, people won't keep reminding you to do so...

My wife used to drive Isaac Doss around selling way back when!   Do you know what happened to his massive columbian double horned anvil?  I was way too poor to buy it back when she introduced me to him...back in the midish 1980's!

I'm headed out that way visiting the kinfolks in a couple of weeks; but will be mainly in Van Buren, West Fork, Fayetteville (where I was born and graduated from UofA) and Springdale (visiting the swordmaker whose wife did a bit of matchmaking about 33 years ago and so indirectly responsible for my 7.X grandkids including the twins in West Fork...)

Just realized I misspelled Ike's first name (actually my wife pointed it out). After Ike passed away in '91, the family held a huge auction and most of his equipment went then. I don't know who bought the anvils but I too was poor and couldn't afford anything which went high. I first met Ike in '84. Broke my heart when he passed due to complications he suffered when a vehicle hit him while walking to his forge.

My wife would like to know who the sword maker is. That's her thing knives & swords. Also, if you let us know when you will be here she thought you might be interested in going to a BOA meeting.

4 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Just found this site.

I have been beating red hot metal for over 40 years. My mentor in the art was Isiac (Ike) Doss who first taught me to make a coal fire in his forge in Berryville. I seem to learn something new every time I fire up the forge. My wife and I are members of the Blacksmith's of Arkansas (BOA). My other passion is black powder firearms and shooting flintlocks.

Irondragon, welcome to IFI...you have a PM....