I Forge Iron

Forney?

I recently bought some super-impact hardfacing stick electrodes called "DYNAMAG" manufactured by the company Forney. Has anyone ever heard of this company? Are these electrodes any good? I bought them just to try out cause at first, I thought that they were just standard rods until I read the package. LOL. My main question is; what current do these run on?? It tells me the amperage range, but no current. And, can anyone tell me how the work (good/bad/indifferent/etc)? Thanks for the info.

Hillbilly

Haven't seen any Forney rod for a lonnnnng time. They still make many welding accessories, clamps, grinding wheels etc. I have had two Forney welders. The first (an AC) I bought used and used it for 15 yrs and gave it to my son in law when I downsized for the divorce. I later purchased another (AC-DC) also used and it is still going strong after 10 yrs. Great welder. A plug tap type, it gives 24 amp settings and the duty cycle is 100%@200Amps. They don't make these any more. A better welder IMO than the tombstone, which I have the highest regard for. Have been using a tombstone at work for 30 yrs. Can't kill em.

I know the web site, but it doesn't tell anything about the welding electrodes. I have tried to contact them already (the same day that I put up this post) but I haven't gotten any replies yet. If/when they reply back to me, I will definitely reply back telling them that I heard of them from here.... Any other comments, knowledge of this will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What was the last word on these rods? A NAPA store near me had all their Forney inventory at %50 off. So I went in and bought about 3/4 of their stock. I was able to get a bunch of SS rods, hard facing rods, auto helmet, torch tips, mig tips, abrasive wheels etc.etc. I am familiar with some of their equipment, just wondering how those hard facing rods worked out for the original poster.

Edited by Ggg

Its been a while since I used the electrodes. I used them to build up a harder surface on a piece of rr rail that i cut and shaped into an ASO. They ran great. Run them on DCEN because you want as little penetration as possible, hence "surfacing" rod. A little tip I have is to make CERTAIN that you have the piece you are surfacing as close to the shape, flatness, etc BEFORE you run the surfacing rod on it. You dont want to be grinding on that because first off it SOOO darned hard, and second the extra heating from all the grinding can change the properties of the surfacing rod. Hope this helps and good luck.

-Hillbilly