I Forge Iron

Help with age and history on my new 100.something pound baby

Hello, I'm new to this site.But you were where everyone pointed to for reliable info. I was lucky enough to pick up a 100 lb. Hay Budden in great shape. I was trying to get help dating it. NOT for retail sale.I will die with this in my shop. ;)  A29364 is the serial number as best as i can read. the 9 and 3 are iffy.But it looks like 5 numbers.From what i can find it's early 1890's....? I really am interested in the history behind this anvil.Any help would be great for this noob. Thank you. Ben T.

20170226_171210.jpg

20170226_171240.jpg

20170226_171335.jpg

100lb Hay Budden Anvil 008.jpg

Rug,

From what I have seen, Trenton stamps the weight on the left side of the front foot, and the serial number on the right side. There could also be a trace of the Trenton diamond. Some one else should come along to identify the rest of that makers mark....1902

Hay-Budden, again from what I have found, puts the weight below the logo. The serial number is on the left hand side of the front foot. 

N.N.F.          Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan, USA.   

I think it says "Reliable Warranted" 

Right on. Good to know I am not mad it's a turn of the century Trenton. Think of all that history and stuff this has seen.Thank you so much for your Information.

Holly crap I see the 1 line of the diamond.You'r spot on. Good eye.

Z is likely the first letter of the last name of the anvil maker.  According to AIA (I'm quoting from only my memory), there was an anvil maker named Zulty.  This anvil was Definitely made by Trenton.  Post pics to Facebook Anvil Site and tag Todd Hoffman.  He'll want a photo of the anvil for his database of trentons. I have a 34K serial number 203lb Trenton that was made in 1903.  Yours would be either 1903 or earlier.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for you ideas and info. That's interesting about Zulty. Never heard of them.I will try and get some pics online. I know it has nice ring with a fingernail. i love it what ever it turns out to be. But, I am a information hound.So i always have questions sorry :) thanks again

20170226_211154.jpg

Trenton Serial #29364 would date it 1902.

(AIA) Says that the anvil maker would often put the first initial of his last name to the left of the weight on the front of the foot.

Charles Zulty was with the company from approximately 1900 until about the 1940's. He was said to be one of the best hammer men the company ever had. He was a bit of a show off and could bring the head of a steam hammer down and just touch the crystal of a pocket watch without breaking the crystal!