I Forge Iron

Greetings from Australia

Chris V

G'day, I am about to retire from the Victoria Police after 31 years. Now I have the time to concentrate on my interests in Horse drawn vehicles. So it seems logical to learn Balcksmithing to fabricate or repair metal parts on the vehilces. My first project is a Milk delivery cart that I recovered from a friends back paddock last year. The thing was left in the bush for the past 20 years to his knowledge, there is no timber left on it and all the steel work is rusted. Where I live is in the Dandenong Ranges, an area that is high fire danger, and today in fact is the 25th Anniversary of 'Ash Wednesday' where 8 people lost their lives and hundreds of homes were destroyed around the State. I am currently building a small smithy in the backyard because during our summer we cannot have a fire outside. So I am interested in building a suitable forge and chimney. If anyone has some information on the proper size and positioning of the forge and it's construction I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks

Welcome to IForgeIron

What fuel do you intend to use? That will determine the chimney, the placement of the forge.

What is the largest size and length stock you plan to use? You must size the forge, and size the area of the shop, to the work you do.

Please provide us with additional information so we can better answer your question.

Most wheelwrights and wagon makers forges are relatively small in area, the largest items that you would be making I think would be a sweep ring or wheel tires/rims.
Traditionally the forge was an area/building attached to the main woodworking side of the shop for safety and finishing reasons.
I use a wheelwrights forge that came from a country estate in Devon, It is a water cooled side blast forge, that has quite shallow side, the reason for this being that various diameters of tires and sweep rings can be passed through the fire and supported on the hearth.
Most wagon furniture is made as small and light as possible to cut down the overall wight of the wagon it is to be fitted to.
i have made fitting for a number of wagons, and really found them an enjoyable challenge, each one being individual.
Good luck with the new life and enjoy it.

G'Day Chris ,
Welcome ta the site mate .

Belgrave , Ok , Now theres me at Wesburn , Blubrick at Cockatoo , Strine at Chirnside Park . Gettin' a collection of smiths up in the hills .

Bang us a line , if youse is hangin' out ta pound iron your more then welcome up here anytime

Dale Russell

p.s .. i'll ave ta be on me " best " behavour too seein' as youse is 1 of the boys in blue ... :)