I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

I have been popping around different places to see what kind of anvils I can find. I was lucky enough to find a couple places that told me they would give me a call when they get a few more back through their store as well. I decided to settle down and look over the internet again as unsuccessful as I have been with it thus far. I found a couple that interest me, but I am still such a novice at trying to ID them. Here they are and thanks for the help fellas.

First one is a decent deal depending on what it is. He wants about 3 dollars on the pound. 

The next one confused me a bit with the lettering and numbers on the side. hes wanting a bit more with just over 4 dollars on the pound. 

Once again any help is appreciated fellas. Hope you are all having a great day. 

00L0L_2yWqMNcBsvL_1200x900.jpg

00505_aFm20ix3RIA_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_7fuH08KvApI_1200x900.jpg

The first one is a Vulcan. Vulcans are about as cheap as you get for a tool steel faced anvil, but they ARE tool steel faced. Just very thin. The second one is a farrier's anvil, which (because of the narrow waist) isn't really designed for blacksmithing, but will work. That all depends, of course,on the steel type. That, I don't know.

Farriers' anvils are often still in production, you can probably what the new price is for that one and so judge the used price.

$3 a pound for a Vulcan is pretty rich; of course it is a quiet anvil if you need to fly under the radar with your forging.  What's the weight on it?

Not knowing what you need an anvil for makes it hard to give advice.

My anvil right now is just a piece of round bar tool steel. I was looking to get something with more weight and use. The vulcan is 250 lbs and the Farrier is 125 lbs.

For use? I am just a hobby smith right now honestly. I have several friends that have become more and more interested as I get more involved with this so, I figured upgrading from a piece of round bar seemed to be in order. 

Again, thanks for the info and also any further advice fellas, You are awesome as always.

15 minutes ago, Daghrim said:

The vulcan is 250 lbs and the Farrier is 125 lbs.

1 hour ago, Daghrim said:

First one is a decent deal depending on what it is. He wants about 3 dollars on the pound. 

The next one confused me a bit with the lettering and numbers on the side. hes wanting a bit more with just over 4 dollars on the pound. 

I'd hesitate to commit either $750 for the Vulcan or $600 for the farrier's. For that money, you could probably put together a much more substantial block anvil (forklift tine, RR track, etc) and still have money left over for potato chips.

1 hour ago, Daghrim said:

Alrighty, was considering building a new anvil anyways. Thanks for the help fellas. I will see what I can do.

Daghrim, if you are a good welder, I have some forklift tines I'll let go very reasonably.  Although I haven't yet Made one myself, I've seen some great anvils made from Forklift tines.  I'm east of you in Fayetteville AR.

All the best.  PM me or whatever the IFORGEIRON equavilent of private message is if you are interested in the Forklift Tines.