I Forge Iron

Advise a Newbie

I guess this should be filed under "I want to forge Iron"... If I have to ask the question, I know others have the same kind of question I do, so I will be the one to ask.  Can any of the more experienced heads here give a progressive learning kind of organized list of projects?  A few of the books I have read suggest starting out with a simple flat head screwdriver, beyond that very basic shaping of iron I would love some input from you all on a good strategy to learn the fundamentals of smithing?  In a way I guess the question is about what are the most fundamental lessons I should be learning more than what the final product is.

So do you want to forge iron or do you want to forge steel? Probably 95% of smiths are forging steel these days and pretty much only historical focused folks forge iron + some knife makers who use it for fittings...

Stop by the shop and I'll go over the basics for you.  Feb 11 I'll be teaching an intro class at NMT !

My current material on hand is 1018, A36, and 1045. So, steel would be the accurate answer.  What I want to forge out of it is open, right now I want to learn because I don't know.  My question was driven towards learning the fundamentals that can be used in blacksmithing in general.  I would like to learn eventually to make my own smithing tools and at some future date to harden and temper steels for woodworking.  For now I am looking to the very beginning projects, think what you would hand someone walking into your forge never having seen an anvil, what would you teach them first.  I know what I would teach an aspiring machinist first (care for your tools), but I am asking you folks what you would teach first.  Come to my machine shop and after 20 years I know the things I would teach you first because they are the foundations of learning the skill of machining.

Hammer control, temperature control, what various steels require in forging.  Especially if you want to make woodworking tools I would suggest picking up a copy of "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" Weygers

Another important thing to remember is that it takes a number of times to get good at making something. So don't just make 1 of something---make a dozen of them 1 by 1 and look at each one and figure out how to make it better on the next one!

Des, the first thing you need to do is READ. There are many excellent threads on IFI that address this precise question, and (as with just about any basic question) you're going to learn a lot more by doing your own research. 

This may seem callous, but trust me, it's for your own good. The more informed a question you ask and the more context you give, the better. 

One other thing: if you put your location in your profile, you'll find that there may well be other IFI members in your area who can help.