I Forge Iron

Couple of chrome xray test coupons

So who on here does high pressure xray work these are 2 1/4 chrome it took me 2 hours to to tig and stick these 2'' joint out for xray my bro is doin the 6'' for a procedure theres a 400 degree preheat on both sets tig root and hp then switch to 9018.The 2'' is 9/16 thick with a ruffly 30 degree bevel.

001.JPG

My Dad taught nuclear pipe prepping for the submarines. He taught them how to use the specialty cutters, and also how to do it by hand. The fun part was that they had to cut through the walls on the part to be replaced down to just a few thousands of an inch, then tear the section out so it would not contaminate the system. If they cut all the way through it was a major OH xxxx! They had an inside filler ring that they used between the pieces for the root pass. That was all TIG, and there was an inspector watching an amp meter the whole time it was being welded. They either did a bevel, or a J-prep depending on the situation.

I worked at BW's shop in Ont all nuclear work inspectors checked everything lol they also had at the time the largest gun drill in north americas they say it was anchored into the bedrock i think it had 21 heads on it it did a nice job on the inconnel tube sheets.THEY had a 16' dia and 3 ' thick lots of drillin lol