I Forge Iron

Need help on how to connect 3 torches to one gas bottle

StumpingIron

Hi I am building my forge at the moment and I just need to make the burners although I need 3 burners for my forge. What I want to know is how to connect all 3 torches together so the gas can disperse evenly through each torch. My design I also have a ball valve on each torch so I can cut each one off seperatly any time I need. If anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Happy New Year,

Make a manifold. It is the same as used in Air Lines. One line comes in to a chamber, 3 lines come out of the chamber. A manifold can be purchased or make one from a piece of tubing (square tubing with a cap on each end. or, a piece of pipe with a cap on each end, in one end and out 3 places). Drill and tap for pipe thread, use adapters from NPT to left hand thread fuel fittings. Acetylene and Propane (Fuel) are (should) always be left hand thread. That way you Can Not Connect incorrectly!!

Neil

11 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Will your propane bottle support the draw of three *burners* at the same time?

If so then a manifold with 3 "out lines" each with a valve on them should do if all the piping is sized for the amount of gas to be traveling through it at the pressures you desire.

I was thinking about just using the 3 burners to disperse the heat evenly across the forge so if 1 burner is at max power I would use that much gas to disperse across all three burners

Still no information of what size propane tank and what size burners; so some idea of draw rate could be garnered.   I think it's a bit trickier than that to balance gas usage of 1 burner to over 3 burners especially if they are all the same size.  But in general an adjustable regulator will deal with a pretty good range---as long as the tank can deal with the draw rate.  (not as critical as with acetylene tank where draw rates *are* majorly important; but you still can freeze up a small propane tank pretty fast.) 

Also is there a connector shaped so one pipe comes in and 3 pipes exit out if there is one could I then connect pipes from that or would it be to thick. If to thick how can I join the pipes together?

You could build one out of standard black pipe fittings. Please use pipe dope rated for propane use: (OK I'm going to use some plumbing terms here so don't get excited:)  Cap, Nipple, Tee, Nipple, Tee, Nipple, Tee, Nipple, Tee, Nipple, Cap.  3 Tees going to burners the other one going to the propane regulator and tank.  (or Elbow. Nipple, Tee, Nipple, Tee, Elbow---or plug, Tee, Nipple Tee, Nipple,Tee, Nipple, Tee, plug; or....)  The length of the pipe nipples is how you space the burners in the forge.

Instead of pipe dope can I use plumbers tape because I have a lot of it lying around.also would this method of connecting pipes be as propane efficient as most methods of connecting burners together? Thanks for the help and I think I will either go with method 2 or 3 just deciding if plug or elbow is better. I will be sure to show you photos when it is done

Does it say it's rated for such work? If so then yes you can use it.  If not then I cannot advise that you use it.

My suggestions were to mainly show that it's not rocket science.  However pressure drop in a manifold as burners branch off from the side may happen too---depending on a heap of factors if it will cause an issue.

8 threads in this DIY manifold and using teflon tape? A leak waiting to happen, not to mention good luck lining up all the "T" and giving each thread the right tension. 

Make a manifold from a pipe, tap for each of the 3 burners and don't forget to make another manifold for 2 or more gas bottles. 

And don't use teflon, shop for a proper thread sealant from Loctite or similar, one that withstands temperature.