I Forge Iron

Power hammer dies out of O2

Hi,
I have been looking for a supplier of power hammer dies and a machining/blacksmithing shop within a reasonable distance replied with an offer to make them. They seem professional and all but the material they told me they usually make the dies out of is O2 steel. This surprised me a bit as I have been thinking to have them made out of 4140, 4340 or some H or S steel for the right price.

Given the price is reasonable and they would do a proper heath treatment, is there any reason not to have them made out of O2 steel?

My power hammer is an old leaf spring hammer with 40kgs ram do not think this matters much, though. 

Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

You will certainly get longer life out of proper alloys and heat treated dies, but mild holds up ok if ONLY hitting hot mild steel.  Probably 90% of my clapper dies for the power hammer are mild steel.  

Where this breaks down is if you start working tougher alloys or using the full capability of a power hammer by using top tools and flat dies.  When you start punching and fullering etc on flat mild steel dies they will get chewed up quickly.

IMG_1399.JPGIMG_1400.JPG