I Forge Iron

Hello from Oklahoma!

Hardtimes

Hi, I'm very interested in blacksmithing. It has been eating a lot of my spare time researching and watching videos on the subject. I have been lurking around for a while and thought I'd join. I like to build old cars and motorcycles and got interested in blacksmithing as way to build some of my own tooling. That being said in have been bitten by the bug and have become interested in more than just tooling.

Thanks to all,

Sam

46 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Note that learning smithing is in the doing, not the watching.  10 hours at the forge will profit you more than 100 hours at the screen!  (And actually watching something again after you have tried it and then going and trying it again may work even better for you...)

• Thanks to both of you for the feedback. As for the above statement, I can't agree with this more! I'd love to spend the hours in the shop but, I'm finishing up construction on our house and it is eating up all of my time right now. When it is completed and we are moved in this month I plan on getting back in the shop! :D

Welcome aboard Sam, glad to have you. Reading and watching are good things, watching less so till you've gained and developed some basic knowledge so you can better filter the wheat from the chaff. And believe me there's a LOT of chaff on the internet some so outright wrong and dangerous I'm surprised the posters haven't been sued into homeless shelters.

Anyway, read, watch, do. Then read it, watch it again and compare your experience. As Thomas said this is a very valuable learning technique. Another is to get hooked up with the local blacksmithing organization, every hour working with an experienced smith is worth days of figuring it out yourself.

Oh, one last little thing, we LOVE pictures, work, shop, tools, equipment, pets, family, etc. most anything you'd show a small child.

Frosty The Lucky.