I Forge Iron

Hay Budden Date?

Great anvil!  Seriously though, the first thing I noticed was the artistic quality of your first photo.  It has excellent lighting, color temperature and overall ambiance.  The rusty foreground and shadowy background are just nice.  

Either way, enjoy that beautiful anvil.

13 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Can't beat a Hay Budden. How huch did u get her for.

400 ... not the best deal on the planet but a fair price. i found it on bidspotter - it's an auction site for commercial industrial liquidations. anvils rarely come up for auction it's mostly heavy industrial equipment so you're not competing w a lot of people like you are on ebay. i just set up an alert for anvils and one close to me came up so i went for it. that said, removal / shipping can be really expensive  - they'll get you for rigging fees and commercial shipping which adds up fast. and once you win the auction that's that ... if shipping adds another 500 it's your problem so research before you bid. 

12 hours ago, Lou L said:

Great anvil!  Seriously though, the first thing I noticed was the artistic quality of your first photo.  It has excellent lighting, color temperature and overall ambiance.  The rusty foreground and shadowy background are just nice.  

Either way, enjoy that beautiful anvil.

thanks for mentioning. 

I once got an HB that had been stored for 50 years in an unheated shack in a damp area near a creek in Ohio.  It had a fine even pitting on the face from condensation rusting.  I wire brushed the loose stuff off and then started forging on it and the sweet spot is pretty much polished to a shine while back near the tail you can still see the original patina.  Nothing shines up an anvils face like *using* *it*!

I also remember paying nearly as much for the buyer's reaming and the rigger's charge as for my Screw Press that I bought at a factory auction---luckily for me I won it with a US$50 bid so the total was just under $100 and having a professional rigger load it was CHEAP at twice the price.  Most machine equipment gets damaged during moving it.  Getting it loaded correctly is a big step towards getting it in your shop with no ER visits or broken castings.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I once got an HB that had been stored for 50 years in an unheated shack in a damp area near a creek in Ohio.  It had a fine even pitting on the face from condensation rusting.  I wire brushed the loose stuff off and then started forging on it and the sweet spot is pretty much polished to a shine while back near the tail you can still see the original patina.  Nothing shines up an anvils face like *using* *it*!

I also remember paying nearly as much for the buyer's reaming and the rigger's charge as for my Screw Press that I bought at a factory auction---luckily for me I won it with a US$50 bid so the total was just under $100 and having a professional rigger load it was CHEAP at twice the price.  Most machine equipment gets damaged during moving it.  Getting it loaded correctly is a big step towards getting it in your shop with no ER visits or broken castings.

yes, nothing brings an anvil back to life like using it ... my PW had a really pitted face when i got it about a year ago and even after a good wire brushing the rust was really in the pits. after steady use the face is shiny and a lot of the pitting is smoothed over so there's really good smooth spots. 

13 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

That's a great deal! How long did it take for that anvil to show up?

Yes, I'm pretty happy w it. I picked it up since it was less than an hour from me. 

I tink it was comparatively cheap  because there was one crappy picture on the site and no info other than measurements - no maker not even the weight and i'm telling you the pic was a blurry rusted blob. I assumed the weight pretty close from the dimensions, even though it was rusted it the edges were in good shape and the shape looked a classic HB so took a shot. 

11 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Hmm I should patent my "red hot steel anvil polish" to be applied with a hammer to the face of the anvil.

you can throw in a pet rock w every order