I Forge Iron

Just playing around...

HEAP of JEEP

When I ran out of old files to make herb choppers from, I started making them out of some old leaf spring I had lying around, but then happened upon some blades off of some type of old farm equipment.  No idea what type of steel it is, but I never argue about taking usable scrap when the price is right (Free). First test was to see if it had enough carbon to harden up at all, and it sure did. So, after playing around with it, I decided I was getting a good enough grain and hardness to use it for my herb choppers, since it was a much more workable size to begin with.  I've really had some very nice success with the choppers that came from them, so was just playing around and decided to throw together a quick knife to throw out on my table at an upcoming craft show this weekend.

Nothing fancy, but should be an easy sell at the show.  I used some reclaimed walnut for the scales, and brass pins. 

I kept debating with myself on whether I should leave some of the forge marks in, and once it was "done", I decided I made a mistake in taking them all out.  Some of the pitting that was on the steel when I started, is still evident near the top of the spine.  If I had left some of the forge marks in, that pitting would look like it belongs, rather than standing out like a sore thumb.

I only edge quench my herb choppers, and with this particular steel, I've been winding up with some vary obvious quench lines, that are very light and wispy, like a good hamon should be.  I haven't worked with a decent steel for hamons in a while, so thought I'd have some fun and see what kind of results I could get when I was actually trying to get one.  I clayed the blade before heat treat, but I was out of the stuff I usually use, so tried some refractory cement that I use to line my forge.  I mixed it with a little clay.  It dried well, and stayed in place during the heating, but blew right off in the quench... so much so, that there was nothing left to clean up on the blade.  I haven't done enough hamons to know the ins and outs, but figure the clay blowing off wouldn't allow for the proper cooling, so wasn't expecting anything after that. To my surprise, I did wind up with a very slight hamon, but nothing as pronounced as I was getting by accident, and so subtle that there was no way I could get a decent picture with my limited camera set up.  I might have to play around with it some more, but all in all, for a quick little project, it was a lot of fun to make.  Always learning something... even on the quick fun projects.

15036678_1155229404557282_3790088137063950806_n.jpg15056403_1155229411223948_6033276812454726480_n.jpg15056448_1155229504557272_1532536063472499656_n.jpg15078809_1155229391223950_709228042075930417_n.jpg15095079_1155229464557276_7430369972709529864_n.jpg

I saw the title "just playing around" and then saw that it was by you, and thought "oh great, what this time!" (meant in a good way). I always look foreword to seeing your work.

Thanks for sharing!

Littleblacksmith