I Forge Iron

Pizza Oven Fire Blanket

ede

I was given a large trash bag full of unused fire blanket by another blacksmith.  He got it from a guy who was doing a pizza oven install awhile back and doesn't have any specs on it.  While I have some 8# 1" 2600 degree rated fire blanket, I was wondering if it's worthwhile using this oven blanket as an outer layer in my forges and the 2600 on the interior?  A quick google search for pizza oven blanket turned up this product which is rated to 2300 degrees:

Forno Bravo refractory ceramic fiber insulation blanket is used in all our pizza oven kits and fully assembled homecommercial pizza ovens. Also suitable for furnaces and stoves.  Woven ceramic insulating blanket comes in 50 sq. ft. roll, 2’W x 25’L x 1″ thick. Easily cut and shaped for creative pizza oven designs.  High efficiency insulating blanket for installation under any refractory or brick oven.  Heat resistant to 2300ºF (1280ºC), easy to use, and more efficient than vermiculite by a factor of 2 to 1. Fast and simple installation saves time, space and money.

Thanks!

That'll work fine. What do you have for a hard inner liner? Even rigidized and with a good kiln wash ceramic blanket will suffer mechanical damage so having something hard for the inner liner is a good idea.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, ede said:

A quick google search for pizza oven blanket turned up this product which is rated to 2300 degrees F.

High efficiency insulating blanket for installation under any refractory or brick oven.

You did read the part about for installation under any refractory or brick oven.

Did that match the label on YOUR blanket or was it just a guess as to what you have? 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

That'll work fine. What do you have for a hard inner liner? Even rigidized and with a good kiln wash ceramic blanket will suffer mechanical damage so having something hard for the inner liner is a good idea.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, 

After lining with the non-pizza oven blanket, I used rigidizer mixed with some food dye and a drop of dish soap to break the surface tension in a spray bottle.  Then, I used 30% kaolin and 70% zircopax per what I read here on the forums from several members into a latex paint type consistency.  I've noticed that there is some cracking after the coating has been applied, dried and fired.  Another member pkrankow recommended a grog that might help with this.  One of the guys at the supply house I spoke with suggested aluminum hydrate as a common ingredient as a kiln wash.  Has anyone else tried Al(OH)3 in a blacksmithing forge application?  

Since this is a new forge, I am going to pick up some kiln shelf.  I have some Mizzou as well, and would like to try it again some time but next time just for the floor instead of the entire inner circumference.  

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

You did read the part about for installation under any refractory or brick oven.

Did that match the label on YOUR blanket or was it just a guess as to what you have? 

Hi Glen, 

It's just a guess that this is a similar spec'd material as the blanket I received came in a trash bag with no info.  The rest is hearsay.