I Forge Iron

First knife in the new forge!

Oberu

Got my propane forge up and running thanks to of lot folk like Mikey and Frosty.  Just getting things tuned in and kicked out this little knife ((en't really little )).  5160 that started out life as a 1/4" x 2" and ended up as .160" at the spine.  Handle is from some wood an old friend gave me from some rich folk's porch that was demo'd.  I'm not sure of the name but the grain matched the curve I was working with and it turned out nice.  Let me know what you think!  Lots of fun!

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2510.JPGIMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

I got it up to the colors i could find reference to normalized it three times, (( 1500 ish )) and quenched it in veg oil that i'd warmed by quenching an orange railroad spike into.  I tempered it in the oven ( after cleaning it  and scrubbing a bit.. the Mrs would kill me ) at 400 degrees for an hour.  

Do not tempt your wife to commit murder.

Let me suggest picking up a toaster oven at Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, or Salvation Army thrift store. They are cheap.

But pre-test the oven out for real indicated temperature and T. consistency. Do that before tempering your blades.

SLAG.

1 hour ago, Steve Sells said:

good start, keep it up,. how did you heat treat it?

just an FYI  5160 is not high carbon, its medium carbon.

In order to be classified high-carbon, the steel must contain a minimum of 0.60% carbon. 5160 has between 0.56% 0.64% carbon content putting it right on the line. I've always considered it to be a high-carbon steel. Please correct me if there's something I am missing.

12 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

In order to be classified high-carbon, the steel must contain a minimum of 0.60% carbon. 5160 has between 0.56% 0.64% carbon content putting it right on the line. I've always considered it to be a high-carbon steel. Please correct me if there's something I am missing.

I was taught below 0.30 is low carbon; around the eutectic point and above is high carbon. From above 0.30 to below eutectic is medium,  But there are some people that want to call 0.30 carbon RR spikes High carbon also, to each his own. but it does make exchange of information difficult when we choose to mix and match terms.