I Forge Iron

New forge not heating enough

DreadPiratePippi

Hi everyone! I'm new to blacksmithing and just set up my first forge at home and after burning it for about an hour it still wasn't get hot enough to work the steel. Was I simply being impatient or is there a problem I need to address? I've attached a video of it while it was on so you can see the inside space and how it was burning. Any suggestions and help appreciated. Thanks.

WP_20161026_14_28_03_Pro.mp4

I'm in Adelaide, Australia.

I've got the regulator open about 2/3 to 3/4 of the maximum possible pressure (2.8kPa is the listed max pressure, and Australian regulators don't seem to have pressure gauges to be more precise). None of the photos of the reg on the gas tank (8.5kg) are uploading properly.

The heat issue is when the doors are closed and open. This was the first time I tried it out and after an hour I figured I'd stop burning gas and ask for help.

WP_20161026_17_35_01_Rich.jpg WP_20161026_17_35_10_Rich.jpg

A couple thoughts;  It looked like the flame was burning at the floor of the forge rather than a cone of flame at the end of the burner tube. That indicates a problem with the burner itself as far as alignment or tuning goes. You should have a somewhat cone-shaped blue flame where it enters the forge.  In general you should not see yellow flames inside the forge at all, and only a little orange or yellow in the dragon's breath.  How much have you played with your choke settings?  Have you tried full open and nearly closed to see how that affects the flame in the forge? 

Secondly, I can't tell for sure the size of your propane tank, but if you are trying to run 2 burners from a single 20 lb propane tank you will be drawing propane so fast that it will quickly cool the cylinder and significantly reduce the propane pressure.  I use two 20 pound tanks linked together for a single 3/4 inch diameter burner.  Was there a difference when you first fired up the forge compared to a half hour later?  Also, some of those propane tanks have a flow limiter built in since they are intended for use in gas grills and that doesn't require nearly the gas flow that we need for forges.

Hopefully one or more of the real NA burner gurus will show up here to help you troubleshoot, but that's my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

Not to be rude, have you talked to the manufacturer? They should be plenty qualified to address problems with their product. 

I've emailed them and I'm waiting to hear back.

As for the choke settings I've played with them a bit but it didn't have a huge impact. I'll have a bit more of a play today. I appreciate the help :-)

Adjustable regulators are more useful for forges than fixed pressure regulators.  Hard to tell from the photo, but yours should have a hand operated adjustment at the top.  I use a 0-60 psi one like this with a pressure gage attached (widely available online for around $30):

megr-6120-large.jpg  Sorry just read more carefully and saw that you have an adjustable regulator.  Unfortunately it is only 2.8kPa (0.4 psi?).  Regulators are also rated for throughput of gas.  Look for one sized for a roofing torch or weed burner.

Edited by Latticino
missed some of earlier post

Glad to help.  You asked good questions and described your issues in a competent fashion.  You were respectful and listened to advise without letting your ego get in the way.  A good model for forum participation.  I wish more Newbies would follow that.

As regards your welding friend's estimate of regulator size/type perhaps they were confused by the relative pressure required for closed system torches (where the oxygen is fed in in a pressurized fashion) instead of a naturally aspirated burner (where the gas feed speed induces the air intake.  I don't know for sure.  I think I remember using an Oxy/Propane torch and needing to set the propane pressure up over 10 psi though, but that was quite a while ago.  2 bar is right around 30 psi, so that should work fine.