I Forge Iron

Another Trenton Question

Ran into this Trenton in an Antique shop in western Maryland today.   Marked 113, so is that 113 pounds or 143 pounds?  Serial looks like A7812 and has the letter S stamped on the left side of the foot.  Has "Solid Wrought" over the Trenton symbol and USA.  Fellow wants $390 for it.   Two things - that seems a little high, but these days, prices seem to be climbing - so, buy or let sit?  Second, what year?  Around 1898?  Thanks for any and all help.  Oh, edges are pretty good and has a good rebound

Interesting! It has the German spelling of wrought iron -wrot but is labeled USA, Fred Moore has one like it and we decided it was a transition anvil perhaps still made in Germany by Boker but labeled for the USA market or made in the USA by Boker. Anywho, a very good anvil and very rare.

Like that other guy said prices are up right now. Personally I'd pass on it because I have 5 other anvils and don't need any more. However, if that weren't the case and I wanted or needed another anvil I'd jump on it. It's a good one.

Go ahead and buy it. It's only money you'll make more of it next week.;)

George

12 hours ago, Farmall said:

Fellow wants $390 for it.   Two things - that seems a little high, 

In Western MD (where I previously lived), those prices are a bit fair, depending on where you found it. Hancock and western, to about morgantown wv are pretty scarce on anvils. Towards Frederick, lancaster and York PA they are a bit more plentiful.